Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#73175 by kidfried
Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:35 pm
Thanks for reading.
Recently activated ooma on one house jack/phone outside my router. Have not cancelled comcast phone line yet as I'm porting the #. Is it possible for me to disconnect house from comcast phone line and have ooma activate all the jacks in the house (prior to getting the # ported)? How? Would it be helpful for me to post an image of my setup where the phone line enters the house? Currently only the one jack gets the ooma dial tone.
#73176 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:50 pm
Currently, is your Comcast dialtone powering the whole house (maybe Comcast took care of your NIB disconnect for you)? If so, just have Ooma's "phone" port feed the house jack that currently your Comcast box is feeding. It might still be a good idea to check whether your house wiring is disconnected from the telephone company though.

Here is an example NIB box. If yours looks like this, just make sure the modular plug is unplugged (or wires are off the screw terminals).

If you are "using your own number" to run your Ooma, make sure your Comcast box is feeding dialtone to your Ooma's "wall" port.

If you are using your Ooma using an Ooma assigned number, you can forward your Comcast # to your Ooma number.
Attachments
NIB Example.jpg
NIB Example.jpg (17.68 KiB) Viewed 14509 times
#73630 by Cataphract
Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:27 pm
I just got my number ported yesterday and the Verizon line was disconnected yesterday as well.

I am trying to activate the other jacks in the house and my question is do i still need to do something at the outside box (NIB?) before i try to plug a cable from the Ooma's wall jack in to the wall outlet jack in the house?

Ooma's documentation confused me as I my thought is that i don't need to do anything at the outside box since my service is already disconnected. Is this true?
#73986 by kidfried
Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:42 am
lbmfo, thanks for replying. Im so slow in getting this together. My nib box (or what i think it is) is a little different from the image you posted. Im posting what I think mine is, and it's a got a rats nest of wires. Just want to see if this thing in my picture is the mod to disconnect or not before i go ahead and disconnect. Thanks.
Attachments
df_110130_0813-Edit-Edit.jpg
nib & modular plug?
df_110130_0813-Edit-Edit.jpg (116.7 KiB) Viewed 14248 times
df_110130_0822-Edit.jpg
df_110130_0822-Edit.jpg (63.22 KiB) Viewed 14248 times
df_110130_0819-Edit.jpg
blue and white cables from what i think is the nib box go to this plus.
df_110130_0819-Edit.jpg (72.76 KiB) Viewed 14248 times
#74027 by lbmofo
Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:34 pm
The first pic looks like a junction vs NIB. I am guessing one wire bunch comes in from the NIB outside and then at this pictured junction, all the house wires are connected to it (1 wire pair is from NIB and 3 wire pairs go into the house).

What's the 2nd pic? Is that your cable modem? You shouldn't need any of the phone ports on there right?

If all my assumptions are correct, then you'd need to figure out what wire bunch is coming from outside the house. This wire pair would carry your DSL signal.

Seems either a green/red or white/blue is coming in from outside carrying DSL. You can make things consistent and change it so that the DSL will come in via black/yellow or white/orange (L2). Then at the junction, connect up the L2 coming in from outside to only the L2 of wire bunch going into the wall jack that your DSL modem will connect to.

(Unless it is really true that there is no NIB outside the house, then the DSL pair coming in will have to be L1)

You can use the 2 wire butt connector (tip to tip, ring to ring).
IDEAL 85-950 2 wire butt splice scotchlok connectors from Home Depot

Connect the 3 L1 wires at the junction going into the house using 3 wire butt connector (3 tips together, 3 rings together).
IDEAL 85-925 3 wire butt splice scotchlok connectors from Home Depot

or you can leverage the junction screw terminals for the L1 wires (take off the NIB L1 from the screw terminals).

After you've done this, you have DSL coming into 1 jack only via L2.

All your L1s in the house are connected together so you can use one of them L1, L2, L1+L2 splitters at the DSL modem jack to feedback your Ooma dialtone via L1 port while getting DSL signal via L2 port.

I know this all sounds very messy so please take a look and let me know if you have questions; we'll walk through them. There are many ways to do this so we can talk about other options too.