Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#14275 by Franchise_24
Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:01 pm
So I just got OOMA and I want to put OOMA *BEHIND* my router. Just to verify I am doing this correctly, would I run from my router to the HOME port on my OOMA? And then if I want all the phones in the house to ring, just run from the WALL port on the OOMA directly into the phone jack on the wall so that they all will ring. Am I correct in this setup?

Thanks in advance,
Neal
#14277 by southsound
Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:07 pm
Not quite. The input to the hub from the Internet is the MODEM jack. The voice output that simulates a regular phone line is the PHONE jack. There are additional considerations if you have DSL running on your existing wiring but if not, just connect it like I've said and you are good to go. If your router has QoS settings there are some on the forum who can help you tweak things for best voice quality. :cool:

Further info - the WALL jack is if you are using a scout or if you are integrating your hub with an existing landline. The HOME jack is the network output if you have the ooma hub between the modem and router or PC.
#14281 by Franchise_24
Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:31 pm
Ok. Thanks for the great information. I am porting my number and have a temp one right now, can I wait to disconnect till after the port is complete and use both systems right now? In other words, is it okay to set it up that way to use ooma, but when someone still calls the old number the phones in the house will still ring until it is ported over.
#14284 by Franchise_24
Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:47 pm
Again, I would like to take a second to thank *everyone* for the quick replies and great information. I appreciate it.

Thanks,
Neal
#14286 by southsound
Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:08 pm
Where's our manners? - I guess I'll be the first to say it - Welcome to ooma, Neal. I think you're going to like it here. Lots of nice helpful people who will help you with questions and we also have a great support group for those who are going though withdrawal from those thick phone bills they used to receive every month! :cool: