Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#4477 by just4fn
Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:43 am
The more I read the more confused I am on how Ooma works. I am using Ooma along with my Comast voice. I believe Comast uses voip also. Since I am using it along with Comcast, is Ooma using the Comcast network or am I using the Ooma network when I place a call? If I unplug the Comcast from the system, am I now using the Ooma network? Please straighten me out so I can tell people how this works.
Last edited by just4fn on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 10 times in total.
#4483 by number9
Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:20 am
If the ooma hub has a blue light and you hear the musical dial tone when pick the telephone receiver, all calls are going through ooma.
#4555 by Pandora
Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:07 pm
It depends on how you installed Ooma.

If you selected to run Ooma as pure VOIP and elected to get a new Ooma provided phone number, then Ooma doesn't need to be connected to Comcast digital voice. In a pure VOIP situation, Ooma handles all incoming and outgoing calls.

If you selected to run Ooma WITH your Comcast service at Ooma install, then outgoing local calls should be with Comcast, and long distance with Ooma, incoming calls will be from Comcast.

Usually when connecting via Ooma, 4 notes will be heard as the other party picks up. Those notes indicate you are using Ooma.