Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#65775 by suttung
Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:52 am
Ok- here's my situation...

I have 3 numbers I want to deal with...

1 account has 2 numbers... a fax line (which we also use as a secondary phone line) and a main line phone number (my Bellsouth/AT&T DSL is attached to one of these)...
the other account is just a phone line but I'll be using several cordless with this and they need to have good range...

if I went with Ooma, I'd want to eventually port all 3 numbers over and these are important numbers and I can't suffer any real down time on them...

So you guys that have set up a home office with multiple Oomas and fax machines, etc... how would you go about doing this?

Thanks in advance for your help!
#65777 by wpwood3
Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:02 pm
I cannot recommend Ooma for fax. So far my experience has not been good. I think this is true for most VoIP systems.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Ooma...just not for fax.
#65783 by suttung
Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:30 pm
... and what about my other questions?

"Ok- here's my situation...

I have 3 numbers I want to deal with...

1 account has 2 numbers... a fax line (which we also use as a secondary phone line) and a main line phone number (my Bellsouth/AT&T DSL is attached to one of these)...
the other account is just a phone line but I'll be using several cordless with this and they need to have good range...

if I went with Ooma, I'd want to eventually port all 3 numbers over and these are important numbers and I can't suffer any real down time on them...

So you guys that have set up a home office with multiple Oomas, etc... how would you go about doing this?

Thanks in advance for your help!"
#65786 by wpwood3
Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:04 pm
I had BellSouth DSL, too.

What I did was get a Comcast cable modem and an Ooma Telo. I started the porting process while keeping my phones and internet connected to BellSouth. As soon as the port completed I dumped BellSouth for phones and DSL. I just disconnected my outside connection to BellSouth and connected my Ooma Telo to my house wiring. Maybe had 4 hours where I could call out but, nobody could call in.
#65795 by dschmidt_2000
Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:31 pm
FWIW here was my situation.

I had 3 landlines
- family
- business
- business fax

I then got T-Mobile @ home 3'ish years ago which is VOIP for $10/month and I ported my business # to it and dropped that landline. That downtime was pretty much zero (at least I did not notice any downtime).

About 6 months ago AT&T upped the price on my business fax line so I got Myfax.com for $10/month and dropped that landline. With MyFax.com I get a lot of features and even a toll free number for straight up $10/month.

Just this past week I ported my last landline to Ooma. From the time I put in the request to the port completion date was 1 week! I noticed no downtime.

So now I have:

- Family - VOIP with OOma
- Business - VOIP with T-Mobile@home service
- business Fax - Myfax.com
All on dryloop DSL. No landline for phone.

I am thinking of porting my business line over to ooma to save another $10 a month (that's all that Tmobile@home service costs) but I've had some weirdness with my Ooma hub just this past week that makes me want to keep the Tmobile service as a backup. I don't want to put all my eggs into 1 basket for my home based side business.

I haven't yet experienced how well the call forwarding works with Ooma when the network goes down. Suppose I could set up some test cases to satisfy myself to see if I want to take the risk.

One question I wonder about is if Ooma goes out of business, can I port my numbers back to another service?