Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#65251 by iparrajp
Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:32 pm
Hey everyone.

Tonight when I was on the phone with laptop open (Windows 7 with 802.11 N wireless card) the wifi seemed to stop working. All the pages times out and didn't load.

I went to another computer (older model running Windows XP with 802.11 b/g wireless card) and it worked fine.

After I hung up the phone all the pages loaded just fine.

I have a Belkin N router.

Any ideas? I was thinking maybe the cordless phone I was on (Uniden 5.8 ghz) had something to do with it...but why did the other computer (XP) work?
#65254 by murphy
Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:11 am
What frequency is your router set to use?
Wireless n can use 2.4, 5.8 or both depending on the router.
A 5.8 GHz cordless phone and a 5.8 GHz router signal will interfere with each other.
That's why there are many recommendations on the forum to use DECT 6 phones which use 1.9 GHz.
#65265 by southsound
Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:59 am
Also important to note that some 5.8 ghz phones actually use both 5.8 ghz and 2.4 ghz signals. The 2.4 ghz spectrum is used for signaling and can play havoc with your wifi. Murphy's suggestion regarding using the 1.9 ghz DECT 6 phones is a great one. Most of these phones also have feature sets that blow the older phones out of the water. You can get a nice multiple handset system with 5 handsets for about $80-100 on sale.