Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#64346 by diddlydoo
Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:53 am
In the last few days I've been getting calls that are showing up as myself. The caller ID shows my name and my phone number. :?:

I didn't catch the first 2 calls and no message was left.

On two of the calls I did answer. The first call some 'on hold' music is playing and an automated message tells me to hold on and someone will be able to answer my call as soon as someone is available. I'm like what the heck, I didn't place the call to myself.....very odd. So I keep holding on and then I hear the music stop as if someone picked up and then dead air and I'm disconnected.

The second call I pick up and a guy is on the other end asking for a Karen. I ask him who is calling and he says Bill Gibson in a foreign voice. He then asks me who I am and I make up a name and tell him Josephine. I ask him what his number is so I can have Karen call him back and he then hangs up.

I contacted Ooma support and they recommended I reset my Ooma (which I did). They also suggested maybe I block my own telephone number.

Has this happened to anyone else? It so strange. Do you think someone is able to somehow spam my phone number and somehow get my own name and phone number to appear in my caller ID so I can't trace or find out who this is harassing me like this?

I wonder if there is something Ooma can do or how I can stop this or find out who this is without blocking my number.

I have my phone set on multi-ring so my cell is ringing also. This has happened 5 times in the last few days.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Last edited by diddlydoo on Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
#64356 by beachboui
Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:17 am
I think your Ooma device has a combination of Schizophrenia and a crisis of identity. It could be a genetic mutation within the architecture. It was bound to happen sooner of later. A mutation in engineered technology. I mean, really, what is the world coming to when you have to blacklist yourself from calling your own phone! Let's hope it doesn't spread. It could be the end of life as we know it.

If you have lots of free time, put all of your phone numbers on multi ring. Then, when you call yourself, you can run around the house answering yourself repeatedly. That should keep you busy for a while. If no one answers, then you'll know it was all a case of mistaken identity.

Reboot your Ooma device and check the medication you are on. One or the other will probably clear things up, at least, temporarily. :D
#64374 by DTMF
Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:04 pm
Alas, there is currently no law which requires Caller ID to be truthful. Callers can set their Caller ID to be anything they want it to be, which limits the effectiveness of Ooma's call-blocking capability. You're receiving calls from a caller who is spoofing your phone number. It sounds like a bill collector. Maybe he resorted to that trick to get around your anonymous call blocking?
#64381 by diddlydoo
Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:09 pm
DTMF wrote:Alas, there is currently no law which requires Caller ID to be truthful. Callers can set their Caller ID to be anything they want it to be, which limits the effectiveness of Ooma's call-blocking capability. You're receiving calls from a caller who is spoofing your phone number. It sounds like a bill collector. Maybe he resorted to that trick to get around your anonymous call blocking?

This is what I'm thinking. I don't owe anyone anything so no bill collection agency should be calling me, but I do believe my number has been spoofed.

I may just have to block my number and hopefully with that and resetting the unit, they'll stop calling. People are getting so creative in how they spoof and spam and harass.
#64413 by diddlydoo
Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:51 am
Ok, they called again this morning at about 8:30.

I answered and again the lady asked for Karen. Evidently some girl named Karen gave them a wrong number and that wrong number is mine.

I asked the girl that answered what was the name of her company. She was hesitant but I told her I wouldn't give out any info about myself without knowing the company and the phone number. She refused to give me her extension and acted rude and told me until she knows the last digits of my social she's not telling me more.

The name of the company is Midland Credit Management and number is 1800-265-8825. I tried calling to speak to a manager or someone in charge to get them to stop calling me but unless I had a 5 digit ext, I couldn't talk to anyone so that did me no good.

I then told her I would call the police if these calls didn't stop. I told her I didn't appreciate them putting my name and number of caller ID so I can't know who is calling and I threatened about the police. I told them to stop calling, but I doubt they stop.

Looks like I have to block my own phone number. It just makes me mad that someone out there is able to put my caller ID info. What I don't get is the info on the caller ID is correct yet they are asking for someone I don't even know.

Yep, I'm a little upset. It just makes no sense.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

***Update: I looked the company up online and got a better phone # and called and actually spoke to a person. I explained about these calls and he took my phone number and took it off their list. I then asked him how are they able to put my info on the caller ID. He said they don't have the ability to do that and that I'd have to speak with my phone company. Can they are is this an Ooma issue? :?:

Also I have called a couple of friends to ask how my caller ID appears when I call. They say it shows up "unknown caller" and my phone number. I thought with Premier my name should appear also. I don't why my Name and phone number though appear when this collection company calls.

I'd just like to know if Ooma issue or what....