Ooma has a problem calling with Google Voice

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
User avatar
lbmofo
Posts: 9337
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Greater Seattle
Contact:

Re: Ooma has a problem calling with Google Voice

Post by lbmofo » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:32 pm

Tried dialing out using Ooma via Google Voice, no problem.
Tried calling Google Voice number, ooma receives call no problem.
No problems here using Google Voice in the Seattle area.

However, on a totally non Ooma related note, with a different Google Voice number tied to my cell phone, when I tried to call that (using my cell) to check my Google voicemail, the call failed a few times today (my cell is AT&T).

BTW, I think Ooma girl sounds much better than the Google girl! :cool:
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

Image

User avatar
stevepierce
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:38 pm
Location: Ypsilanti, Michigan and Albuquerque, New Mexico
Contact:

Re: Ooma has a problem calling with Google Voice

Post by stevepierce » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:23 am

lbmofo wrote:Tried dialing out using Ooma via Google Voice, no problem.
Tried calling Google Voice number, ooma receives call no problem.
No problems here using Google Voice in the Seattle area.
I agree, both these scenarios work. But if you look at what we have described, this is not where the problem lies.

The Problem lies in using the Call Back feature in Google Voice

Follow back the thread for the steps to recreate the problem. It is Post #64147
Here is the post that describes the steps to recreate the problem.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9226#p64147

Let us know if you follow these steps does the problem happen for you. Then report back

Who is your ISP?
What Ooma device to you have?
Do you have anything plugged into your Home port on the back of the Ooma?

Cheers!

- Steve

User avatar
lbmofo
Posts: 9337
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Greater Seattle
Contact:

Re: Ooma has a problem calling with Google Voice

Post by lbmofo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:52 am

stevepierce wrote:
lbmofo wrote:Tried dialing out using Ooma via Google Voice, no problem.
Tried calling Google Voice number, ooma receives call no problem.
No problems here using Google Voice in the Seattle area.
I agree, both these scenarios work. But if you look at what we have described, this is not where the problem lies.

The Problem lies in using the Call Back feature in Google Voice

Follow back the thread for the steps to recreate the problem. It is Post #64147
Here is the post that describes the steps to recreate the problem.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9226#p64147

Let us know if you follow these steps does the problem happen for you. Then report back

Who is your ISP?
What Ooma device to you have?
Do you have anything plugged into your Home port on the back of the Ooma?

Cheers!

- Steve
This is a feature that I haven't used before but just tried this morning.

Called GV # using my AT&T iPhone, let Ooma ring but didnt' answer, left a GV VM.
Went to GV web page, looked at the VM left, clicked on "call" & "use" my Ooma number.
GV called my Ooma, I answered then the AT&T iPhone rang, my boy answered and we talked in different parts of the house.
No issues.

My setup is below.
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

Image

User avatar
stevepierce
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:38 pm
Location: Ypsilanti, Michigan and Albuquerque, New Mexico
Contact:

Re: Ooma has a problem calling with Google Voice

Post by stevepierce » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:22 pm

Can't get Ooma to confirm that they have even been able to duplicate the problem <sigh>.

Just tested, still broken.

- Steve

rysand
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 5:26 am

Re: Ooma has a problem calling with Google Voice

Post by rysand » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:29 pm

I do have google voice extensions working but it seems to lag when disabling and enabling.

would much prefer to connect via google voice at will

User avatar
lbmofo
Posts: 9337
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Greater Seattle
Contact:

Re: Ooma has a problem calling with Google Voice

Post by lbmofo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:31 pm

stevepierce wrote:Can't get Ooma to confirm that they have even been able to duplicate the problem <sigh>.

Just tested, still broken.

- Steve
Could you try a totally different carrier for the phone that's leaving the GV VM so you can call back to test?
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

Image

rysand
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 5:26 am

Re: Ooma has a problem calling with Google Voice

Post by rysand » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:21 pm

rysand wrote:I do have google voice extensions working but it seems to lag when disabling and enabling.

would much prefer to connect via google voice at will

Update. Now when I disable GVE my virtual number has become my default caller-id number (uugh)

on phone with tech support now.

ntoy

Re: Ooma has a problem calling with Google Voice

Post by ntoy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:33 pm

Hello,

This is bug 9098 & is resolved, but not pushed into production yet.
Hopefully it will be soon.

User avatar
stevepierce
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:38 pm
Location: Ypsilanti, Michigan and Albuquerque, New Mexico
Contact:

Re: Ooma has a problem calling with Google Voice

Post by stevepierce » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:51 pm

ntoy wrote:Hello, This is bug 9098 & is resolved, but not pushed into production yet.
Hopefully it will be soon.
Which Bug?

Is it 1) the Lag time on Ooma's GVE or 2) the Can't talk to someone using the Google Voice Call feature?

- Steve

User avatar
stevepierce
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:38 pm
Location: Ypsilanti, Michigan and Albuquerque, New Mexico
Contact:

Re: Ooma has a problem calling with Google Voice

Post by stevepierce » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:55 pm

lbmofo wrote:Could you try a totally different carrier for the phone that's leaving the GV VM so you can call back to test?
Yes we have tested multiple carriers. AT&T POTS, AT&T 3G, Comcast, Cavalier, Qwest DSL, Qwest POTS, Verizon 3G and T-Mobile GSM. All have the exact same problem.

If you use Google Voice Call feature to connect an Ooma phone to one of these other carriers, the Ooma user can not hear any voice traffic but can hear touch tones sent by the far end of the call.

- Steve

Post Reply