Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#63156 by mcowher
Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:31 am
How long did it take for other former AT&T customers to go from getting an "estimated" port date to a "confirmed" port date?

I got the email with an "estimated" date on 08/20/2010, and am anxiously waiting for a confirmed port date.

Also...what is holding things up at this point? Is it AT&T or Ooma?
#63314 by wpwood3
Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:16 am
It took 4 days for mine. (date of "estimated" email to date of "confirmed" email)
On the 5the day I got another email that said "Your number will be transferred soon".
All of these emails had the same port date.

There are several factors that can increase this time. Most of these are out of Ooma's hands.
If your number has been ported previously from some carrier other than at&t it can take longer. If it has always been an at&t number then it should be fast.
#63561 by jhphone
Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:12 am
I had ATT landline phone service and Comcast as my ISP.

I put in a Port request Aug 16. It was completed exactly on the "Port Scheduled" date, Aug, 26, about 10 days later.

I will add that I am now very happy not being held hostage to ATT's monthly extortion.
#63569 by jds580s
Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:11 pm
Seems like it might be hit-and-miss.

I'm currently on day 24 since my "estimated port date" email and still no "confirmed port date" email. After 2 support calls, a support email, and missing 2 estimated port dates the only message I get is to "wait longer" and "it should come".

This is for an AT&T assigned number that I did not previously port, so I wasn't anticipating any unusual problems when I started the process.
#64203 by nibes
Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:42 pm
I also wonder why it takes Ooma so long to port. I called AT&T on Sep 2nd about another matter and they told me that it takes only about 4 days for them to port a number, and that they had received no request from Ooma to port my number even tho I began the process with Ooma on Aug 23rd with a scheduled completion date of Sep 16th.

Are there any moderators that can explain the discrepancy between the two time frames (4 days versus up to 30 days)?

Thanks
#64204 by lbmofo
Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:57 pm
AT&T landline & VoIP, because they have over 1 Millon subs, they need to adhere to 1 day porting mandated by FCC effective 8/2/10. The 4 days mentioned is timeframe allowed prior to the new mandate (although often it took much longer; weeks and not days). Small carriers that have less subs have 6 months grace to comply. This 1 day porting is only if the winning carrier requests the port be done within 1 day.

I am thinking that it takes 3 to 4 weeks with Ooma because (for whatever reason) Ooma is requesting the port ins with requested completion dates that are 3 to 4 weeks out. If Ooma requested 1 day (Ooma is probably not able to do this), then it would be done in 1 day.
#64303 by scargo
Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:40 pm
I made my request on April 27, 2010 and my business phone line was completed on May 12,2010 so it took about 3 weeks. Most likely it will be around the time your next billing would start with AT&T. Just because they told you it takes them 4 days don't believe they would be that cooperative. They are NOT happy that you are leaving them and the missed revenue they won't be getting anymore.