Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#62109 by hanyuanh
Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:44 pm
Hi

I am a new Ooma user just got my original number ported from at&t.
Just want to know what should I do to block all toll free calls?

Thanks
#62110 by highq
Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:01 pm
hanyuanh wrote:... what should I do to block all toll free calls?

That's not clear to me. :?
You want to block incoming calls that are free to the caller?
Or all incoming calls that are not local?

What distinction are you making between toll-free calls, and just plain free calls?
#62170 by DTMF
Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:49 pm
Sounds like another vote for the feature requested in this thread.

Since it isn't currently possible to do that, I'd vote for that feature, too. :cool:
#62247 by hanyuanh
Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:49 pm
DTMF wrote:Sounds like another vote for the feature requested in this thread.

Since it isn't currently possible to do that, I'd vote for that feature, too. :cool:

Yes, what I mean is to block all incoming calls from toll-free callers.
#62252 by allo
Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:16 pm
Yes, what I mean is to block all incoming calls from toll-free callers.

I doubt very much "those sleazy marketers" are making those calls from an 800 number... they give an 800 number to call them back.. which are 2 different things!
Usually they are masquerading under a regular number when calling their victims!
#62257 by southsound
Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:59 pm
allo wrote:I doubt very much "those sleazy marketers" are making those calls from an 800 number... they give an 800 number to call them back.. which are 2 different things!
Usually they are masquerading under a regular number when calling their victims!

Exactly. They use a VoIP system that "spoofs" their CID to the 800 number they want you to call back on - but since our ooma system reads that CID as their actual number, it would effectively block them if there was a way to accomplish a block for 888 ***-****, 877 ***-****, 866 ***-****, and 800 ***.**** and I'm all for it.

It doesn't require expensive equipment or great knowledge to set up a "spoofed" CID. And it can be for good purposes. I just bought a Cisco PAP2T-NA to play with and registered a toll free number from VoIP.MS - I was able to use my Google Voice number as my outgoing CID. That way, when I do make a call, it shows the number I'd prefer them to use.
#62270 by allo
Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:54 pm
southsound wrote:
allo wrote:I doubt very much "those sleazy marketers" are making those calls from an 800 number... they give an 800 number to call them back.. which are 2 different things!

Exactly. They use a VoIP system that "spoofs" their CID to the 800 number they want you to call back on - but since our ooma system reads that CID as their actual number, it would effectively block them if there was a way to accomplish a block for 888 ***-****, 877 ***-****, 866 ***-****, and 800 ***.**** and I'm all for it.

It doesn't require expensive equipment or great knowledge to set up a "spoofed" CID. And it can be for good purposes. I just bought a Cisco PAP2T-NA to play with and registered a toll free number from VoIP.MS - I was able to use my Google Voice number as my outgoing CID. That way, when I do make a call, it shows the number I'd prefer them to use.

The "CID spoofing" has been going on for quite some time with impunity... yet anybody who faxes anything without including/disclosing his name and phone number commits a "Federal Crime"... go figure!