Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#60746 by drdoodles
Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:06 pm
Ok here is the deal. I just got my dry loop dsl service from verizon done (before I had telephone service and dsl), now I don't have phone service. I understand the porting process takes a couple of weeks, so I am without phone service during that time. What am I suppose to do now? Did I go about this the right way? Because Ooma says you have to have dry loop dsl, before the porting can actually take place. I even paid to keep the same phone number. Please help me, I am very new to all this, I will appreciate your help.
#60750 by lbmofo
Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:29 pm
In order to port a number, the number has to be active. If your phone service is turned off, probably want to call them and have them turn it back on again. Just keep the dsl and phone service separate; I've read others having smooth port experience even if the dsl/phone are bundled together; phone service gets turned off but not dsl. You don't need to tell the landline company that you'll be porting. Once you initiate the porting service with ooma, ooma will take care of it all; when port is complete, just need to call the landline company to confirm that your phone service account is closed out.
#60751 by drdoodles
Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:38 pm
Thanks for the info. So should I call Verizon tomorrow and say I want my phone service back? My only concern is when the number is ported the dsl will be dropped too. I really don't know how to convey this concern to the people at Verizon. I asked about separating the dsl and the regular telephone line, they said that can't be done.
#60752 by lbmofo
Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:40 pm
I'd tell them that you wanted both phone service and dsl service but you just wanted the dsl service on a different bill. Maybe put another family member's name on the dsl service. I am sure they can do that.
#60944 by bw1
Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:23 am
If you cancel your phone service before you port, you may (very likely) lose your number.

If Verizon won't separate the DSL and phone service (they can, they just don't want to) directly with two account numbers under your name or under different names, switch to a cable internet provider and tell Verizon that's what you're going to do.

Also, you've likely activate your Ooma with an integrated landline.

What is an Integrated landline?

If you selected “I would like to use the Ooma system with my current phone provider” or "I would like to use the Ooma system with my current landline" when you activated. In both cases be certain to plug your landline into the port labeled WALL on the back of the Ooma Hub or Telo otherwise it will not go into service.

Most of us here recommend not integrating your landline, whether you're just testing the Ooma service and will eventually port your number or even if you want to keep your landline for a backup service. The reason is that all incoming calls and local outgoing and 911 calls will be through your landline service. Only long distance calls will be through the Ooma service. Also, you give up much of the included functionality like caller id and call waiting from Ooma.

Once your Ooma device (Hub or Telo) has been activated, the only way to change from an integrated landline to an Ooma supplied phone number is to call customer service.

I would suggest that you contact Ooma customer service and have them set you up with a temporary number while you are in the process of porting.