Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#59991 by unplug
Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:02 pm
I've been using Ooma for a couple of months and everything was find until this afternoon. There was nothing happened to the configuration nor power/internet outage.
My configuration is:
ISP -> Cable modem -> Router -> Ooma -> Wall -> Phones (total of 3)
The problem I have right now is it feels like there is a phone never hang up. When I pick up my phone, there is only bee bee bee ... sound. When I connect Ooma directly to a phone, it works perfectly. However, again, nothing has changed in the wiring or anything.

I tried disconnect all three phone lines, still the same. It seems as soon as I connect Ooma to wall, the #1 line is always on, and so after a while, the ring tone turns into fast bee bee bee ...

How do I figure how what's wrong?
#59992 by southsound
Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:34 pm
Did you disconnect the house wiring from the utility at the Network Interface Box? If not, this is your first step.The NIB will normally be on the outside of the house. Inside the "customer" side, you will find either a short cable with a modular plug or a hinged affair that also has a modular plug on it. Disconnecting your home from the telco is as simple as removing the plug or swinging the hinged plug out of the way. It is also a good idea to place a note that says, "Do not reconnect. Doing so may damage customer equipment."

Let us know if you have done this step and what your results are.

Next, disconnect all phones from the home and see if the line 1 indicator still goes on when connected to the jack in the wall.
#59993 by unplug
Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:27 pm
After post this question, I picked up a phone when ooma was disconnected. I could hear very low humming sound. I went outside and totally disconnected NIB. Problem solved.
The only thing I don't understand is why all of a sudden the problem came up.
#59995 by southsound
Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:08 pm
unplug wrote:After post this question, I picked up a phone when ooma was disconnected. I could hear very low humming sound. I went outside and totally disconnected NIB. Problem solved.
The only thing I don't understand is why all of a sudden the problem came up.

Sometimes when you terminate service from the telco they still leave your line up in their equipment. In our locality we are several miles from the central office so our phone line is connected to a "slic" (subscriber line interface card) that is in a cabinet about 1000' from our home. When a person terminates service, the central office switch (think huge PBX) is told through programming that their line (and the corresponding connection on the interface card) is no longer associated with their phone number - but the actual wiring between their home and the slic is left intact. That allows voltage to be present on the cable going to the house, even though the phone service is no longer functional. It was just a matter of time until leaving the wiring connected would cause problems. We always recommend disconnecting from the NIB whenever you choose to leave the telco and power your home with any ATA.

Oh - almost forgot. You are welcome. Happy to help.
#59996 by leejosepho
Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:51 am
southsound wrote:Sometimes when you terminate service from the telco they still leave your line up in their equipment.

Yes. After I recently had my Verizon service stopped just before moving away, there was still a dial tone and 911 service and a message of some kind about getting connected if any other number was dialed.