Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#58981 by MikeInCal
Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:15 pm
lbmofo wrote:If you have Fry's near you, I found them to have the least expensive cables. But you have another one you can swap out right? The one that your computer or router is using?

Swaping cables made things worse: no internet signal at all. The modem and home cables, so designated by ooma in their setup protocol, look different. The modem cable is flat and white while the other looks like an ordinary gray ethernet cable. These cables must have different specs, no?
#58982 by lbmofo
Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:17 pm
But do you get blue tab on the Hub with gray cable connected between modem and hub? If so, that means the white flat cable is bad.
Last edited by lbmofo on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#58983 by MikeInCal
Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:18 pm
dknyinva wrote:Try contacting your ISP and ask them to refresh your cable modem, then power cycle and see if that would work.

Thanks for the idea. I'll try that tomorrow. m
#58984 by MikeInCal
Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:19 pm
lbmofo wrote:But do you get blue tab on the Hub with gray cable connected between modem and hub? If so, that means the white flat cable is bad.

No, the tab was red.
#59007 by MikeInCal
Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:00 am
I contacted Comcast and they reset the modem. No luck with ooma, unless I need to follow a particular power cycle. After the modem reset I just powered down the ooma and then powered up again. Still the same lit buttons on the box.

Also, the comcast tech asked if perhaps the IP address of the box is incorrect. Is that possible? I noticed in the network configuration settings that it was set to automatic rather than dynamic. Would it make a difference to change to dynamic?

The other possibility is that both Hubs, the original and the replacement, are defective. We noticed that the replacement had a messily placed activation warning sticker and that we did not receive any new hardware besides the hub. I'm thinking that ooma sent us a busted box with the same problem as the original one.
#59010 by murphy
Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:33 am
Set the Ooma box for Dynamic DHCP and to use the built in MAC address.
Turn everything off.
Turn on the Comcast modem and wait until it syncs with Comcast.
Turn on the Ooma box and wait for it to come on line.
This is all that is required to have phone service.
The router and computer are not involved.

You said that you got a replacement hub. Is it properly activated?
It will not work unless it is activated.
#59014 by MikeInCal
Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:48 am
murphy wrote:Set the Ooma box for Dynamic DHCP and to use the built in MAC address.
Turn everything off.
Turn on the Comcast modem and wait until it syncs with Comcast.
Turn on the Ooma box and wait for it to come on line.
This is all that is required to have phone service.
The router and computer are not involved.

You said that you got a replacement hub. Is it properly activated?
It will not work unless it is activated.

Resetting to dynamic dhcp and following your power cycling suggestions did not work.

Ooma activated the replacement hub themselves through customer support. I can only assume that they did the right thing, but maybe I should call them again. Groan.
#59140 by MikeInCal
Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:41 pm
Following up with a hopeful resolution.

Ooma tech instructed me to wire the ooma hub behind the router like so: modem > router > ooma. After I figured out how to re-connect the cables (rj45 cable between router ethernet port and ooma modem port; flat, white cable between modem port and router WAN port) I then restarted the system. Ooma reset the box from their end and I was good to go. Blue light tab and no lit up buttons.

It took far too long to get to this point, but I'm happy it's been resolved. I do not know why the techs didn't suggestion this solution long ago. If anyone knows of a downside to this configuration, please post.

thanks,
m
#59141 by dtalwar
Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:04 pm
No downside to that configuration ... a lot of us have been using it for a long time. The only thing you may need to worry about is having to configure the QoS on the router. I won't worry about it for now. Enjoy having your phone back and see how it goes over the next few days!