Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#58899 by MikeInCal
Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:03 pm
Hi folks,
I'll cut to the chase and make a long story short here: I'm writing in frustration after talking to ooma tech for several hours and eventually getting a replacement Hub. The replacement hub is not working either despite more conversation with tech. But before I give up on ooma and move on, I'd like to give a try on the forum. There seems to be lots of knowledge here. The hub was working fine for several months and our internet connection continues to function so long as the hub is plugged in.

So here's the setup.

*Comcast cable modem without landline.
*Hub connected between modem and router, I think.... What does it mean that we lose internet if the hub is powered down?
*Ooma tab blinks red.
*The 1 and 2 and the play and forward lights are solid red on the Hub.
*Both the modem port and Home port on the Hub have one solid green light on the left and one blinking amber light on the right of the port.
*If it means anything, skype works fine.

Several days after talking with tech, I went back and tried a hard reset on the replacement hub with the modem and router powered down for more than one minute each. Still no luck. I read on another thread that Comcast modems have to be put through a power cycle after a new device is connected; alas, this didn't work with mine.

Any suggestions out there?

Thanks in advance. Mike
#58928 by murphy
Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:37 pm
If that Comcast cable modem is the type that also supports a Comcast phone line, power cycling doesn't do the job because it has a battery in it. There should be a small hole on the back that will allow you to reset it.

You should also configure the Ooma to use it's built in MAC address.

1 and 2 on means it can't access the Ooma servers.

The hub does not have a pass through mode. It must remain powered on 24/7.
#58946 by MikeInCal
Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm
Thanks for your reply, Murphy.

I have a cable modem with no battery or phone port. So I guess I was cycling it properly after all.

I configured the MODEM port to use the built-in MAC address. The HOME port was already configured to use the built-in MAC.

I then power cycled the cable modem but it made no difference to the ooma light pattern. Next I powered down everything (except the computer), powered up and reset the ooma (when do you release the ooma tab?), double-checked that the MAC addresses were correct, and then powered up cable modem. Still no change in the ooma lights.

What, if any, can I try next?

Thanks again. M
#58948 by lbmofo
Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:24 pm
Reaching a bit but last time I had problems with a friend's Hub coming online, it was the network cable between the Hub and the modem.
#58952 by murphy
Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:43 pm
Resetting the Ooma undid the use built in MAC address. You will have to do that again.
#58953 by MikeInCal
Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:44 pm
lbmofo wrote:Reaching a bit but last time I had problems with a friend's Hub coming online, it was the network cable between the Hub and the modem.

Well, ooma did NOT send us new cables along with the replacement Hub so you never know. Do you think it's worth buying a new one? Is this type of cable something I can get from Radioshack or the like?
#58954 by MikeInCal
Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:45 pm
murphy wrote:Resetting the Ooma undid the use built in MAC address. You will have to do that again.

I did check the MAC after powering up the cable modem*. It was set to use the built-in.

*I meant to say I checked the MAC settings after resetting the ooma.
#58959 by lbmofo
Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:21 pm
If you have Fry's near you, I found them to have the least expensive cables. But you have another one you can swap out right? The one that your computer or router is using?
#58961 by bw1
Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:28 pm
MikeInCal wrote:
lbmofo wrote:Reaching a bit but last time I had problems with a friend's Hub coming online, it was the network cable between the Hub and the modem.

Well, ooma did NOT send us new cables along with the replacement Hub so you never know. Do you think it's worth buying a new one? Is this type of cable something I can get from Radioshack or the like?

You can get an Ethernet cable from just about anywhere - Best Buy, Radioshack, Fry's, MicroCenter. You could probably get it at Sears or Walmart.

Try powering everything down and disconnect all but the cable modem and Ooma Hub. Those should have an Ethernet cable connecting from the Ethernet port on the cable modem to the Modem port on the Hub. Power up the modem and wait 2 minutes. Power up the Hub and wait for it to boot and it should show a blue light on the Ooma tab.

If that doesn't work, power everything down again and then power them up the opposite way - Hub first and then cable modem.