Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#58668 by turtlebud
Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:28 pm
Recently, I've had some serious internet speed issues. I normally get around 5Mbps, but over the past few days, I noticed it was really lagging and when I ran a speedtest, it was literally 0/0.3Mbps. What finally seemed to restore some of the speed was rebooting the DSL modem. My DSL plan is for 6Mbps/768K

I have an Actiontec 724R DSL modem+router. My set up is:

DSL Modem/Router -> ooma
DSL Modem/Router -> AE Base Station (wireless router)

I have the Qos Upstream set at 384K

Is is possible that in this setup, the ooma can degrade the internet connection the way I have been seeing it?
#58671 by murphy
Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:14 am
You appear to have nothing connected to the Ooma Home port. If that is the case, the QOS inside of the Ooma box should be disabled - set both values to 0.
QOS should be configured in your modem/router if it has that capability.

Check the power supply for your Actiontec. It is a known failure point for that unit. The power supply overheats and the voltage starts to degrade until it reaches the point where the box no longer works at all.
#58674 by turtlebud
Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:51 am
okay, i will make/check those settings on the ooma box. the QOS settings that I had were actually on the actiontec, but i'll just make sure I didn't have those set on the ooma as well.

thanks for the suggestion on the actiontec - that very well may be the problem. is there a way that I can tell if the power supply is going bad?

thanks.
#58676 by murphy
Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:19 am
turtlebud wrote:okay, i will make/check those settings on the ooma box. the QOS settings that I had were actually on the actiontec, but i'll just make sure I didn't have those set on the ooma as well.

thanks for the suggestion on the actiontec - that very well may be the problem. is there a way that I can tell if the power supply is going bad?

thanks.

The broken power supply that is on my bench (belongs to my ex boss) is Actiontec model ADS6818-1505-WD. It's output is 5 VDC 3A 15W. The center terminal of the DC connector is +. In his case the power light on the unit started to get dimmer. The best way is to measure the voltage under load if you have the equipment and skills to do it.