Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#56226 by FreePhone
Thu May 20, 2010 9:25 pm
Currently on the trial period with Premier for my Ooma Core. Been thinking about trying out a second number and may pick a number out of state so relatives and friends don't have to pay for a long distance call to me. I have people in various states so the choice is difficult. I was hoping I could rotate between numbers to give all my contacts a shot at local calls to me. Is this possible or do I have to pay to change the number each time?
#56228 by southsound
Thu May 20, 2010 9:30 pm
ooma charges for number changes - it actually incurs some cost and labor for them, so they recapture those costs by charging a fee, currently about $12. In your other post I suggested GV as a solution for when you move - but you could actually have some of your relatives use it to reach you for free - no additional numbers required and who doesn't like free long distance. Just get ready for them calling you names like, "Hero". "Awesomely smart phone guy", etc. :P
#56229 by FreePhone
Thu May 20, 2010 9:37 pm
Sadly many of my contacts are not tech savy, so they would have an hard time setting up a Google number. Especially when they don't even know what Google is.
#56250 by southsound
Fri May 21, 2010 7:04 am
FreePhone wrote:Sadly many of my contacts are not tech savy, so they would have an hard time setting up a Google number. Especially when they don't even know what Google is.

It may mean a little more work for you but the friend I referenced with the out-of-area cell phone doesn't have a computer. I set it up for him and then called him on his cell, then home phone to set up the numbers with GV since they require verificatioin by ringing the forwarded phone and entering a code. Works flawlessly and he hasn't a clue as to why - but he loves it!
#57042 by OomaGirl
Sun May 30, 2010 8:47 pm
Sorta related question... I may choose a 2nd number during my Premiere Trial. If I enrolled and paid for a month (or more) of Premiere later (after I let it lapse for a short time or a long time), then I may not be able to get that same 2nd number again? My question is really how long until the number expires and is no longer assigned to my account. Because if it expires right away, then I could cancel Premiere and re-sign up to get a different number and avoid the fee, right?
#57056 by Groundhound
Mon May 31, 2010 7:46 am
OomaGirl wrote:Sorta related question... I may choose a 2nd number during my Premiere Trial. If I enrolled and paid for a month (or more) of Premiere later (after I let it lapse for a short time or a long time), then I may not be able to get that same 2nd number again? My question is really how long until the number expires and is no longer assigned to my account. Because if it expires right away, then I could cancel Premiere and re-sign up to get a different number and avoid the fee, right?

Interesting question, and a bit confusing. Your goal is to be able to change your second number with no fee by allowing Premier to expire for x-time and then renew, but you have not yet selected a second number?
#57060 by southsound
Mon May 31, 2010 8:27 am
OomaGirl wrote:Sorta related question... I may choose a 2nd number during my Premiere Trial. If I enrolled and paid for a month (or more) of Premiere later (after I let it lapse for a short time or a long time), then I may not be able to get that same 2nd number again? My question is really how long until the number expires and is no longer assigned to my account. Because if it expires right away, then I could cancel Premiere and re-sign up to get a different number and avoid the fee, right?

It always amazes me the lengths of inconvenience a person will go to just so they can avoid a reasonable fee. Have you considered that the fee is about the same as 3 lattes, or if you are a smoker (bleahh), less than two packs? My suggestion regarding Google Voice may just be your best bet. :P
#57071 by dsinternet
Mon May 31, 2010 10:20 am
I am guessing it takes at least 60 days for a number to expire. Google does not re issue a number for 6 months. That's a long time. I would pay the fee and be done with it. Google voice cost me $60 since I signed my whole family up with Google Voice then realized later that I gave them all long distance numbers. I could have waited 6 months and hoped that the numbers that I wanted would still bearound, but I paid the money and got everyone the right number. I learned a lesson. And yes it is really easy to set up friends and family with google voice.