Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#56196 by FreePhone
Thu May 20, 2010 5:03 pm
I am a new user to Ooma and have been wondering about this...what if I move to a different area code or to another state? My ooma number would then be a long distance call for locals to my new residence. Do I have to pay to get a new Ooma number for my new location? How are others dealing with this?
#56205 by murphy
Thu May 20, 2010 6:35 pm
Convince your new friends to get Ooma and it doesn't matter what your phone number is.
If you don't have Premier, subscribe and you get a second number for your new location. Your old and new friends can call you since you have local numbers for each of the locations.
It costs $11.99 to change your phone number.
#56207 by FreePhone
Thu May 20, 2010 8:13 pm
I don't want Premier, besides even if I did and got a second number for my new location, then what if I moved again? Is my only choice to pay to change my number with each move?
#56212 by lbmofo
Thu May 20, 2010 8:25 pm
I think it is cheaper than activating a new landline.
#56216 by southsound
Thu May 20, 2010 8:40 pm
FreePhone wrote:I don't want Premier, besides even if I did and got a second number for my new location, then what if I moved again? Is my only choice to pay to change my number with each move?

One option would be to use a local Google Voice number whenever you move. Keep your existing ooma number - outgoing calls are free anywhere in the US. Then, every time you move, just get a local GV number and forward that to your ooma number. No Premier required. If you want the GV number to be shown as outgoing CID, just call it then press 2 then the number you wish to call followed by the # key. The call will be completed showing your GV CID. GV numbers are available for most metro and even many rural locations. My guess is that your moves are either due to employment or education, so this might be a good solution.
#56221 by FreePhone
Thu May 20, 2010 8:47 pm
southsound wrote:One option would be to use a local Google Voice number whenever you move. Keep your existing ooma number - outgoing calls are free anywhere in the US. Then, every time you move, just get a local GV number and forward that to your ooma number.
I am not familiar with Google Voice, is it free?
#56223 by southsound
Thu May 20, 2010 9:03 pm
FreePhone wrote:I am not familiar with Google Voice, is it free?

It is free but requires an invitation from Google. You can see all about it at http://www.google.com/voice. Basically, GV is a telephone managment product. It allows you to obtain a GV number and have that number ring any landline, VoIP number, or cell phone - or a combination of all of them. I have been using a GV number since last summer as my primary number. I have a friend who has an out-of-area cell phone from his company. They allow him to use it for personal calls but his wife had to dial long distance to reach him. We got him a local GV number that points to his work phone. Now his wife can reach him with a local call. It also allows free long distance calling to anywhere in the US.
#56224 by FreePhone
Thu May 20, 2010 9:08 pm
If Google Voice gives free long distance calling to anywhere in the US, then why do I need an Ooma?
#56225 by southsound
Thu May 20, 2010 9:21 pm
Google Voice requires a telephone device - so you need a landline, cell phone, or VoIP device to use it. Since owning your own ooma system is typically cheaper than having a landline, the pair (GV and ooma) make great economic sense.