Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#55190 by ultradsa
Mon May 10, 2010 11:49 am
Hello,

I have been using my OOMA system for over a week now and love the system, quality and features but one thing is wrecking it for me and thats needing a Local number. When setting up the system There was no local numbers to pick from so I called support and was advised to pick a number thats somewhat close until they secured a local number for me.

I have been searching the forums for people that have had a similar situation and have found that most of them were secured a number as a special order and didn't have to wait who knows how long for one to just pop up. I have no old number to port over as my last number I primarily used was my work cell phone that belongs to my employment.

How long should I be waiting for a local number and is there anything I can do to speed up the process. Incoming calls to me currently are pointless because of all my local friends and family.

I will be happy to preach great things about OOMA as soon as I get a local number. Any suggestions?
#55199 by ultradsa
Mon May 10, 2010 12:43 pm
I have heard of that method of porting over a prepaid cell phone number but it is an expensive method not to mention time consuming. I guess there was just a clear policy on how to handle a new account if no local number is available. Even if there was a fee to obtain a local number that would work for me rather than having a phone that is pretty much just used for outgoing calls.

Also I really wish there was a method to see whats available. When I was first setting up the device I was allowed to enter in just my area code and it would return whats available in the results, how can I do that now? If I log onto My OOMA and try to add a second line, I'm prompted for the area code and suffix, So am I to believe that the only way to see if there is a local number available for me is to search all 50 of my local suffix one by one?

I'm frustrated because I'm so close to being a happy customer. Any help or advise would be appreciated.
#55200 by fishhawk
Mon May 10, 2010 12:52 pm
If you currently are using a cable modem, you might consider signing up for digital phone from your cable provider; that will get you a number. Then in a month or so, port your digital phone number to Ooma. That's what my daughter did, and it seems to have worked fine.

Yes, there is a delay, and some cost, but it's an option.
#55201 by lbmofo
Mon May 10, 2010 12:59 pm
fishhawk's idea is good too. Cable phone, prepaid cell, landline...whatever is the cheapest to obtain and then cancel with shortest turnaround would be your answer.

You can go to my ooma and in the preferences section, you'll find "add a new phone number"

If you enter the area code and prefix, ooma will tell you what's available under "select one of the numbers below" heading.

If you don't see a number that works for you, you'll need to obtain a number through means called out above.
#55208 by southsound
Mon May 10, 2010 1:41 pm
When I first signed up for my ooma core system, there were no local numbers either - but it only took about a week for them to get one. Now I have retired my hub and have both this and another local number on my Telo. But it really doesn't matter to me because I never give out my ooma numbers. Here's why:

I use Google Voice as a front end for my ooma system and my cell phone. I was able to get a local GV number for free and then set up my ooma as a forward from GV. I don't need Google Voice Extensions (in fact, I've turned them off) and people only have one number to call to reach me no matter where I am. If I choose to change services or if my Internet is down and I need to have calls sent to my landline, no problem. Just takes a second by computer or by dialing into my GV account and entering a pin. Of course, when i make outgoing calls my ooma number shows up as CID but I've trained my frequent callers to always use my GV number. You can even get some neat features like "humorous" voicemail transcriptions, SMS on your PC, forwarding by group so calls from your boss ring only from 9:00 to 5:00 and family gets through all the time, etc. All for free!
#55216 by ktinca
Mon May 10, 2010 2:37 pm
You can get a T-Mobile prepaid kit at Walmart, CVS, etc for less than $20.

If you have an old GSM T-Mobile Cell phone, you can buy a T-Mobile Starter Kit for less than $15 on ebay.
#55224 by murphy
Mon May 10, 2010 3:37 pm
ktinca wrote:You can get a T-Mobile prepaid kit at Walmart, CVS, etc for less than $20.

If you have an old GSM T-Mobile Cell phone, you can buy a T-Mobile Starter Kit for less than $15 on ebay.

A T-Mobile starter kit direct from T-Mobile is less than $7. It's basically a SIM card with 10 minutes on it.
#55266 by ultradsa
Tue May 11, 2010 7:22 am
Thanks for the replies, I will most likely stick it out another week to see if Ooma can get me a local number for free and if not I will get the T-mobile prepaid phone (I have one but use it for in car emergency's) and pay to port.

I would also like to try out the google voice thing but am still waiting for a invite. for anyone who uses that how long did it take to get accepted or invited to the GV beta?

Other than the whole local number thing I'm very happy with my Ooma system. I even have my system running off a ASUS WL-330gE wifi repeater that also has a Ethernet out, the setup works flawless and is even portable if I wanted it to be. So in a nutshell I have it hooked up in this order modem, router, ASUS WL-330gE extender hotspot, ooma with 3mb down and 400 k up

No lag or anything. Thanks again for all the helpful replies. =)