Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#54161 by lbmofo
Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:26 am
CS will have to do the search in the database for you on what RRF tier you are on.

Maybe you can just PM/email one of the ooma staff on this board Bobby B, Dennis P, or ntoy; if not, you can call CS.

I see where you are coming from on buying in store vs online. I agree that one has to make the commitment to stick with ooma first, then if something is wrong with the device bought online, they'll just work through ooma's RMA process.
#54189 by sfhub
Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:52 pm
Masterguy wrote:Only thing that still baffles me is, my retail box clearly says its a hub, even my ooma system page says its a hub....how does it become a core as far as ooma is concerned? Its kind of funny

Please don't confuse Ooma Core the product packaging with Ooma Core the service level.

Assuming it has never been activated, the product packaging called "Ooma Core (hub+scout bundle)" should always come with Ooma Core service level and no taxes.

The Ooma Hub device could come with Ooma Core (and no taxes) or it could come with Ooma Basic (with taxes).

My guess as to what service level a particular refurb Hub gets is it depends on where your refurb came from, whether it was originally part of an Ooma Core product bundle or if it came from a standalone Hub product.

I'm pretty sure if Ooma is going to charge you money they start specifying it in the login pages up front. If your service says Ooma Core and it says nothing is due you are very very likely on the no fee plan and service level.
#54190 by lbmofo
Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:07 pm
sfhub wrote:The Ooma Hub device could come with Ooma Core (and no taxes) or it could come with Ooma Basic (with taxes).

Okay, so if you have a Hub and in my.ooma.com's Account page, if you have "Base service tier: Ooma Core" then no taxes and if you have "Base service tier: Ooma Basic" then you would be either $11.75 per year or the monthly RRF tier? Is that right?
#54200 by Masterguy
Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:16 pm
lbmofo wrote:
sfhub wrote:The Ooma Hub device could come with Ooma Core (and no taxes) or it could come with Ooma Basic (with taxes).

Okay, so if you have a Hub and in my.ooma.com's Account page, if you have "Base service tier: Ooma Core" then no taxes and if you have "Base service tier: Ooma Basic" then you would be either $11.75 per year or the monthly RRF tier? Is that right?

If this is the case it doesn't make sense to buy ooma basic service. BTW how do get the basic ooma service to begin with? I thought ooma core service & premium were the only services offered by ooma :?
#54201 by Masterguy
Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:20 pm
sfhub wrote:
Masterguy wrote:Only thing that still baffles me is, my retail box clearly says its a hub, even my ooma system page says its a hub....how does it become a core as far as ooma is concerned? Its kind of funny

Please don't confuse Ooma Core the product packaging with Ooma Core the service level.

Assuming it has never been activated, the product packaging called "Ooma Core (hub+scout bundle)" should always come with Ooma Core service level and no taxes.

The Ooma Hub device could come with Ooma Core (and no taxes) or it could come with Ooma Basic (with taxes).

My guess as to what service level a particular refurb Hub gets is it depends on where your refurb came from, whether it was originally part of an Ooma Core product bundle or if it came from a standalone Hub product.

I'm pretty sure if Ooma is going to charge you money they start specifying it in the login pages up front. If your service says Ooma Core and it says nothing is due you are very very likely on the no fee plan and service level.

This probably explains why fishhawk's ooma refurb Hub is incurring a monthly $3.xx tax (link:https://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7583). May be its luck of draw then. It would have been terrible if I were to face that situation
#54223 by sfhub
Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:31 pm
lbmofo wrote:

Yes, that is my understanding. I know for sure the service level says Ooma Core and nothing due for the Ooma Core (hub+scout) product packaging. I've seen Ooma Basic as the service level for a Telo user. I've never seen what it says for someone on the new monthly tax plan.
#54224 by sfhub
Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:34 pm
Masterguy wrote:If this is the case it doesn't make sense to buy ooma basic service. BTW how do get the basic ooma service to begin with? I thought ooma core service & premium were the only services offered by ooma :?

You don't "sign up" for Ooma Basic. Everyone gets the free Premiere trial when they first sign up. When that expires, Ooma Core (hub+scout) folks get Ooma Core service level and Telo/standalone-Hub users get Ooma Basic.

For the refurbs some have been reporting getting Ooma Core and some Ooma Basic. My best guess is it depends on which packaging the refurb originally came from but I don't know that for sure, it is just a guess.
#54226 by Hollywood
Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:05 pm
I was in Fry's today, they had 1 telo, (my friend bought it), and several referb hubs.

The telo said subject to monthly charges for fees, (not the $11.75 that was on mine a few months ago).

The referb hubs were in plain black boxes. one was not taped up, so the salesman opened it up and looked for terms and conditions in the users manual. He was not able to determine the fees from the manual or packaging.
#54255 by Masterguy
Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:04 am
Confirmed with DennisP that I will not have to pay any taxes.

So getting a refurb Hub all depends on the luck of draw. I wouldn't take another chance and buy a refurb hub again.

But, ooma has been great until now. I hope ooma rides through tough times and stay in market for years to come :)