Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#51126 by newsite
Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:50 am
Has anyone tried to integrate Ooma with an Asterisk server or other VOIP server so as to be able to do away with the Ooma hardware and just use the credentials one's Ooma account ? We have multiple Ooma accounts that we would like to hook into our Switchvox system but without the physical hardware use of the Ooma.

Any input is greatly appreciated !!!

Thanks in advance.
#51141 by caseybea
Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:09 pm
Since ooma's mainstream source of income is the sale of its boxes (hubs, telos) - I have to assume here that what you're requesting would well, basically be ignored by them. In other words, by you using your 'own' hardware, what's in it for them?
#51514 by raxxal
Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:41 am
newsite wrote:Has anyone tried to integrate Ooma with an Asterisk server or other VOIP server so as to be able to do away with the Ooma hardware and just use the credentials one's Ooma account ? We have multiple Ooma accounts that we would like to hook into our Switchvox system but without the physical hardware use of the Ooma.

Any input is greatly appreciated !!!

Thanks in advance.

This will not make sense. The OOMA hardware is very expensive. They try to make some money ahead of time. If you have an Asterisk server, you better get either a SIP phone, or an ATA for $50.00 like Cisco brand. I have an Asterisk server at home, and I have the Cisco SPA2102, it works very well.

The OOMA hardware is proprietary, I know is uses Linux OS, but you have not control of it. VOIP is not that hard but not easy by the same token, so you need control of your hardware, OOMA don't allow that.
#51540 by Davesworld
Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:01 pm
I thought Ooma does plan to release sip credentials so people can use the voip feature of their cellphones? Once you bought the hardware, you already paid in advance but you have to have a paid for active Ooma device. I'm not sure if there are plans to just offer a BYOD plan which would require monthly or yearly payments.

As far as Linux based, the majority of ATAs out there are, the Hub uses Asterisk, the Telo uses Freeswitch. Freeswitch supports Google Voice.