Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#55980 by doug
Tue May 18, 2010 8:28 pm
lbmofo wrote:Is there CWCID with POTS?


It is an optional feature where I live, but has been available for probably 15 or 20 years (or else it just seems like it). My LEC calls it simply "Call Waiting ID" and costs about $1-2/mth more than basic "Call Waiting" unless part of a bundle plan. That is, AT&T charges $7.50-$8.50 per month just for Call Waiting ID as opposed to $5.88-$7.50 for basic Call Waiting, in addition to $8.99-$9.99 per month for Caller ID. (Prices vary by city.) The custom calling features are so outrageously priced that you just about always come out ahead by taking one of the package bundles.

That said, porting my service to Ooma and completely dropping my AT&T phone service paid for itself very quickly. I'm not looking back.
#57881 by philw132
Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:24 am
bump
#58297 by scargo
Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:58 pm
My CWCID is not working is there anything I can do to get it working? I guess this the info on what version I have (Device Status - Rev: 1.37410 ) if not i don't know where to find it in setup.ooma.com/
Can anyone help or tell me what the deal is? on CWCID?
#58298 by murphy
Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:20 pm
scargo wrote:My CWCID is not working is there anything I can do to get it working? I guess this the info on what version I have (Device Status - Rev: 1.37410 ) if not i don't know where to find it in setup.ooma.com/
Can anyone help or tell me what the deal is? on CWCID?

Have you verified that your phone supports CWCID. Not all phones that display Caller ID information have the ability to display CWCID.
#58316 by philw132
Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:35 am
I have verified that this is a firmware bug. Bobby B has stated that it should be corrected very shortly.. previous ive had Comcast's private VOIP solution and my CWCID has always worked perfectly, I also had a magicjack as a 2nd line that also worked perfectly with CWCID (after the install of a 3rd party app) When i first connected the telo i noticed right away that this was a feature that does not work. so for now what i do is my cellphone sits right next to my phone and i set it to multi-ring my cellphone so that when i am on the home phone, and i get the CW beep, i can look over at the cellphone to see whos calling. not an ideal solution, but it works until the devs at ooma get that feature fixed.
While i can not verify that this is the case for scargo i just thought i'd add what i know about the situation.

murphy wrote:
scargo wrote:My CWCID is not working is there anything I can do to get it working? I guess this the info on what version I have (Device Status - Rev: 1.37410 ) if not i don't know where to find it in setup.ooma.com/
Can anyone help or tell me what the deal is? on CWCID?

Have you verified that your phone supports CWCID. Not all phones that display Caller ID information have the ability to display CWCID.
#58322 by scargo
Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:47 am
Yes my phone supports it I had it 2 months ago when I was still with AT&T until I switched to ooma and do not have it now .I find that I really do miss it. What I don't understand is it has been around many years now and every other VOIP seems to offer it except ooma apparently even Magic Jack offered it and that is a cheap little phone system with the worst tech support I ever contacted. I recently came across another VOIP offering CWCID plus a boatload of other services for just a tad bit more then ooma premier, hardware much cheaper it's called PhonePower I might have to move on if ooma can't offer the basic stuff. I've already paid for ooma premier for a year but if the aggravations continue I will move on just to avoid the stress it will cause in the long run. I'm new to VOIP and am trying to be patient but calling customer service is getting very frustrating with the run around I've received.
#58323 by philw132
Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:03 am
scargo,

I am not an Ooma tech, so i can not speak on their behalf however Ooma has been around for several years with the hub/core/scout devices that had out of the box support for caller id on call waiting worked perfectly. however this issue is isolated to the telo units. Ooma DOES offer this feature, however there are glitches with it, some people say they have no problem, others say (like myself) that they have never been able to get CWCID to work. And to clarify my statement about magic-jack. magicjack DOES NOT offer out-of-the-box support for CWCID, you have to buy a 3rd party software (1 time fee of $9.99) magicjack will not suport or endorse this 3rd party.

In a direct email from Bobby B here on the forum:
Bobby B wrote: Hi Phil,
We're still waiting on a complete fix for bug 5984, which addresses the caller-ID call-waiting issue on Telos. I think a fix is at least 4-6 weeks out.

Thanks,
Bobby


scargo wrote:Yes my phone supports it I had it 2 months ago when I was still with AT&T until I switched to ooma and do not have it now .I find that I really do miss it. What I don't understand is it has been around many years now and every other VOIP seems to offer it except ooma apparently even Magic Jack offered it and that is a cheap little phone system with the worst tech support I ever contacted. I recently came across another VOIP offering CWCID plus a boatload of other services for just a tad bit more then ooma premier, hardware much cheaper it's called PhonePower I might have to move on if ooma can't offer the basic stuff. I've already paid for ooma premier for a year but if the aggravations continue I will move on just to avoid the stress it will cause in the long run. I'm new to VOIP and am trying to be patient but calling customer service is getting very frustrating with the run around I've received.
#58326 by scargo
Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:56 pm
Hi Phil, Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry if I was venting in my last post. I would just love for things to work right ,out of the box and beat my expectations. Well I'm glad to hear it will be fixed soon I have a small business and call waiting caller ID is pretty important to me. That idea with your cell phone is a good one. I might try that. Anywho Thank You again. Oh one last question was the version number I listed the correct number?
#58327 by philw132
Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:17 pm
Scargo, no need to apologise. ive done my far share of "venting" on these forums :)
I completely agree about the out of box expectations i too was disappointed and am very surprised they focused on trying to release bluetooth support instead of working on this basic function first, if you look at past forum posts in this thread you can see my complains about it. but i have come to realise that they are doing the best they can, they are not a "microsoft" giant type company, they move at the best pace they can and at the same time trying to release new features for us. try getting companies like comcast/cox/rogers/att/magicjack to listen to your problems, and actually fix them. funny thing is, i was pretty happy with magicjack, what won me over to ooma was the ability to port my phone number (i am very attached to this number, lol) the magicjack support said in oct 09 that porting would be released in the next month, i talked to them in nov 09, they said no later then dec 14 09, contacted them right after xmas, they said the first week of the new year.. at that point i told them to go pound sand and i put the magicjack in the trashcan and never looked back. and for the heck of it i just checked out there website, they still say "feature coming soon" and to note magicjack SHUTDOWN their forums over a year ago, they didnt want to have to deal with customer interaction!

Ooma on the other hand, you tell them there are problems, they fix it relativity quickly, and always listen, the forums are open to all, and they have a forum area setup for suggested features.. and so far ive seen alot of them implemented over the years. I may be a relativity new customer, but so far, my experience has been very pleasant.

the firmware version you stated is the same one i have, as far as i know that is the latest version.

scargo wrote:Hi Phil, Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry if I was venting in my last post. I would just love for things to work right ,out of the box and beat my expectations. Well I'm glad to hear it will be fixed soon I have a small business and call waiting caller ID is pretty important to me. That idea with your cell phone is a good one. I might try that. Anywho Thank You again. Oh one last question was the version number I listed the correct number?
#58408 by scargo
Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:35 pm
Hi Phil, Oh I had my business phone number ported to the ooma ( so happy to leave AT&T) we were paying $80.00 per month for one phone line just because it was a business line. Now I'm free from AT&T and love that. I really really like having my personal blacklist I think I have 5 or 6 phone numbers from AT&T on that list. They have called to get me to come back, offer me a little better rate, ask why I switched ETC. with AT&T I couldn't block phone numbers which we would get plenty of calls trying to sell us some service or something now I don't have to take those calls any more.
I realize there are kinks with ooma that i will have to be a little patient about and I'm trying to be plus I'm still learning about voip service. I have a magic jack I've had for a couple years, last year I renewed it for 5 years its loaned out to a friend. I did not like having it hooked up to my computer and that anytime someone called it would interrupt what ever I was doing on the computer plus I don't leave my computer on at night. You can't call for support it's all on the computer. The one time I contacted them for help (because of an echo) it was a waste of time. We didn't get it resolved but the next day the echo had stopped without their help.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 9 guests