Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#50678 by lobwolf
Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:00 am
I writing this just to share my experience and warn others.
I bought Ooma Telo and tested for 1 weeks and seemed to work "fine"
In the beginning of the 2nd week I decided to port my number to Ooma (From Uverse AT&T).
I placed the order and the very next day I started having, calls being dropped and some noise in the line. I have a very nice Internet speed (12MBps download, 1.2MB upload) I monitored the bandwitch in my connection and it barely showed peaks on the 500KBs. I tried several things like the QoS, etc. At the end I decided to not port to Ooma until I had fixed the issues.
I called Ooma (they must be using their own Ooma phone service as the sound quality is not too good) and canceled the port transfer in around day #14
Ooma refunded the porting fee to my credit account after a couple days.
I was not able to get the issues resolved so I returned the device as it was close to the 30 day return policy.
At this point I was forgetting about trying Ooma.
Last Friday March 12th (the day that Ooma was supposed to Port the number) I arrived home after work (around 5pm EST) and noticed that there was no phone line, so I checked my AT&T U-verse equipment and everything seemed fine, I had TV and Internet but no phone line). Then it just hit me, Ooma!!
I call Ooma service and after several minutes on the phone finally they accepted they ported the number regardless of the cancellation. I of course mentioned that that was a huge mistake since I had already canceled it and even I got the fee refunded. The CSR (customer service representative) apologized and mentioned that he would check with the porting team to know what's going on (dah!, some idiot ported the number we know already).

I asked the number to be ported again, the CRS said he would contact Palo Alto but he would not promise anything and most likely he would call me back on Monday or Tuesday.

Bottom line. I have no phone line, Ooma asked even me to ask AT&T if they can port the number back because it seems they do know how. AT&T can port the number back but as a new service because when a phone carrier ports the number it automatically cancels the service with AT&T, however this will take about 2 weeks because it's the earlier that AT&T can get the phone number released from Ooma.

I called Ooma 2 more times and talked already to 2 different supervisors demanding a solution, at least expedite the port transfer back to AT&T and a reimbursement for the inconveniences that all this causing me but Ooma simply ignores me and they say they will call me back with an status update (no one has call me at all) and I am still with no phone line.

I am being able to experience the type of company they are!. Be very careful with Ooma as an ongoing service
#50682 by southsound
Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:44 am
I am sorry that you have had a less than happy experience with ooma. And although it will not be much comfort, I can assure you that you are in the minority. Many thousands of us have had great experiences with ooma and even their (sometimes pathetic) offshort support model. I have had an older ooma hub/scout for over a year and my Telo since August. Quality on both systems is stellar. Best of all, I no longer have to pay for my extra lines and long distance. I still keep my landline because of a special "package" pricing from Qwest that will expire in May. No one can tell the differernce whether I use my landline or either of my ooma systems.
#50707 by Davesworld
Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:26 pm
lobwolf wrote:I writing this just to share my experience and warn others.
In the beginning of the 2nd week I decided to port my number to Ooma (From Uverse AT&T).
I placed the order and the very next day I started having, calls being dropped and some noise in the line. I have a very nice Internet speed (12MBps download, 1.2MB upload) ........

Bandwidth is almost never an issue with voip. Jitter, latency and packet loss ARE a big issue. There are thousands of us who ported our numbers and the system did not change it's personality on us. You never gave us the relevant info just the usual misguided "My internet connection is good because it has X speed" which is meaningless in the VOIP world. I've found Ooma to be more reliable than my previous provider.
#50865 by wildbill
Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:07 pm
Davesworld wrote:
lobwolf wrote:I writing this just to share my experience and warn others.
I placed the order and the very next day I started having, calls being dropped and some noise in the line. I have a very nice Internet speed (12MBps download, 1.2MB upload) ........

Bandwidth is almost never an issue with voip. Jitter, latency and packet loss ARE a big issue. There are thousands of us who ported our numbers and the system did not change it's personality on us. You never gave us the relevant info just the usual misguided "My internet connection is good because it has X speed" which is meaningless in the VOIP world. I've found Ooma to be more reliable than my previous provider.

I would have to agree that ooma is much better then the stupid magicJack but that is the bottom of the barrel VOIP service. Did the OP check his VOIP QOS on a bandwidth test site yet?.. Im just using a ooma phone number. no landline connected.