Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#47982 by AZGuyJoe
Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:33 am
I had a number ported on Friday.
The line was connected to my hub and was used exclusively for faxing and worked with no problem.
Another number was associated with the scout and has a cordless phone base attached - this line is still an original ooma number.
I have premier.
If I call a fax machine using the ported number (*99 pause fax number) I immediately get a recording that says the call cannon be completed.
If I call my cell phone from the fax machine (using *99 and not using *99) the call goes through.
The fax machine using the ported number receives faxes with no problem and if I connect that line to a phone it receives calls with no problem.
If I call a fax machine from the phone connected to the scout, it connects with no problem.

Any ideas on why the ported number will connect to a telephone but not a fax?
I called ooma support who were very little if any help. They said they had to turn on faxing capability for the ported number. When I called back because that didn't work they said they had to turn on 10 digit dialing for it to work.
They did say they were going to elevate the incident but, reading stories here, I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for a resolution.
#47988 by amoney
Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:10 am
AZGuyJoe wrote:I had a number ported on Friday.
The line was connected to my hub and was used exclusively for faxing and worked with no problem.
Another number was associated with the scout and has a cordless phone base attached - this line is still an original ooma number.
I have premier.
If I call a fax machine using the ported number (*99 pause fax number) I immediately get a recording that says the call cannon be completed.
If I call my cell phone from the fax machine (using *99 and not using *99) the call goes through.
The fax machine using the ported number receives faxes with no problem and if I connect that line to a phone it receives calls with no problem.
If I call a fax machine from the phone connected to the scout, it connects with no problem.

Any ideas on why the ported number will connect to a telephone but not a fax?
I called ooma support who were very little if any help. They said they had to turn on faxing capability for the ported number. When I called back because that didn't work they said they had to turn on 10 digit dialing for it to work.
They did say they were going to elevate the incident but, reading stories here, I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for a resolution.

To simplify, when you call a specific number (happens to be a fax machine number), the call can not be completed. So when you try to call this number even from your phone, you will get the same message.

Its a routing issue and Ooma needs to fix it.
#48440 by ggilman
Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:48 pm
WHYGIRL wrote:I read somewhere in the literature that the cordless phone base must be connected to the hub and won't work properly attached to the scout.

A cordless phone base should work attached to either a scout or hub without issue. Faxes (or other analog modem type devices such as Tivo, Direct Tv, security system, etc...), on the other hand, should be attached to the hub and not a scout. Personally I had my cordless phone on a scout for quite a while without issue.
#48476 by AZGuyJoe
Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:51 am
amoney was right.
I contacted ooma and after exchanging a few emails with the second tier support rep she fixed it and everything works fine.
There was never a problem with the wireless base station and the scout; think about it, how/why would ooma care if the base is sending the call to wireless phones? That has, and continues to work fine.
I should also add that after the CS rep elevated the problem I heard from a rep within 24 hours and the problem was fixed 24 hours after that.
Good job ooma!