Rich Buchanan (CMO) left Ooma!

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
amoney
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Rich Buchanan (CMO) left Ooma!

Post by amoney » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:04 pm

Mike-o-Matic wrote:
UrbanVoyeur wrote:From what I've read, Rich Buchanan is an early stage marketing specialist. He's not supposed to stick around.
+1 to this post. In fact, he even alludes to this being a factor in his departure, on his Tweets. "It’s time for Ooma to soar and for me to focus on a new project and build another world-class team."

On to the next adventure, and all that business.

On a related note: Did anybody express being worried about ooma's viability when "famous face" Ashton Kutcher said adios? Not a rhetorical question, I'm just wondering if that alarmed anybody.
Ashton, well, I would not wager a decsion based upon a "actor".

What catches my eye is the way Rich left, his tweets are in the order of, I have left... oh and by the way Ooma is doing so great.

Logic would assume you tweet about a companies success first and then say its time for me to leave.

I actually did not think Rich did enough as far as media relations. Ooma's brand I feel is NOT established, not sure how it is on the west coast, but in my experience majority of IT professionals I talk to dont know what Ooma is!!

Anyways, he's gone, now we know, time will tell.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

User avatar
Mike-o-Matic
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:45 pm

Re: Rich Buchanan (CMO) left Ooma!

Post by Mike-o-Matic » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:23 pm

amoney wrote:Ashton, well, I would not wager a decsion based upon a "actor".
Agreed. He does have very high visibility though. More ooma press could not be bad. Although, I never did see him talking it up on the tube or anything like that.
Customer Since: November 2009.
Number Port: ordered 12/14/09; completed 01/07/10.
Hardware: one Hub, one Scout, one Telo.
Service Level: Annual Premier.

UrbanVoyeur
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:12 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Rich Buchanan (CMO) left Ooma!

Post by UrbanVoyeur » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:38 am

On a related note: Did anybody express being worried about ooma's viability when "famous face" Ashton Kutcher said adios? Not a rhetorical question, I'm just wondering if that alarmed anybody.
I didn't notice he was there and I didn't notice he was gone.

Companies change spokespeople all the time. It is possible that the campaign didn't deliver the sales/visibility/brand results they had hoped for.

Or maybe it did succeed and the plan is to move on to the next phase when the the CES announced feature go live. I don't read much into these things.

Though it might be funny if they had a "famous voices using Ooma" campaign. Clint Eastwood, James Earl Jone (Darth Vader), Samuel L. Jackson, Placido Domingo, Stewy (Family Guy), Homer Simpson.
Last edited by UrbanVoyeur on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Telo since November '09

doug
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:24 pm

Re: Rich Buchanan (CMO) left Ooma!

Post by doug » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:23 pm

UrbanVoyeur wrote:Companies change spoke people all the time.
I believe he was a venture capitalist; not just a spokesperson.

sfhub
Posts: 348
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:22 am

Re: Rich Buchanan (CMO) left Ooma!

Post by sfhub » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:40 pm

They should get George Foreman to pitch Ooma. He has 10 kids and the 5 sons are all named George so I'm sure they'd have a lot of fun when people call in or out through Ooma, in the commercial, asking for George. Variations with call forwarding and high bills for calling the wrong George, problems all solved with a one-time Ooma investment.

User avatar
southsound
Posts: 3519
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:31 am
Location: Harstine Island, WA

Re: Rich Buchanan (CMO) left Ooma!

Post by southsound » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:48 pm

sfhub wrote:They should get George Foreman to pitch Ooma. He has 10 kids and the 5 sons are all named George so I'm sure they'd have a lot of fun when people call in or out through Ooma, in the commercial, asking for George. Variations with call forwarding and high bills for calling the wrong George, problems all solved with a one-time Ooma investment.
I am aware that a career of boxing can cause some cognitive impairment but naming each of 5 kids with the same name shows either (a) a lack of creativity, (b) a severe memory problem, or (c) a super sense of humor. From what I have seen from Mr. Foreman, I would guess that (c) might be the reason. Your post made my day, I had not realized that there were so many young George's in the family.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

whn
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:36 pm

Re: Rich Buchanan (CMO) left Ooma!

Post by whn » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:14 pm

southsound wrote:With Tami Bhaumik as Vice President of Corporate Marketing I don't think we have a thing to worry about. We still have Dennis Peng (Dennis P on the forums), Bobby Biswal, and a lot of other great people at ooma. I'm in for the long term. I think that Rich may have been disappointed by some contractual issues that have nothing to do with the stability of the company. Of course, this is just a guess. But I'm happy with my purchases and with the commitment to Lifetime Premier. Now if Dennis or Bobby left ooma, then I'd worry - BIG TIME!

lol, the minute Dennis P leaves, I leave. lol

whn
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:36 pm

Re: Rich Buchanan (CMO) left Ooma!

Post by whn » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:21 pm

Mike-o-Matic wrote:
UrbanVoyeur wrote: On a related note: Did anybody express being worried about ooma's viability when "famous face" Ashton Kutcher said adios? Not a rhetorical question, I'm just wondering if that alarmed anybody.

HAHAHA

Ashton Kutcher is over exposing himself by being on Twitter.

User avatar
southsound
Posts: 3519
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:31 am
Location: Harstine Island, WA

Re: Rich Buchanan (CMO) left Ooma!

Post by southsound » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:52 pm

whn wrote:
southsound wrote:With Tami Bhaumik as Vice President of Corporate Marketing I don't think we have a thing to worry about. We still have Dennis Peng (Dennis P on the forums), Bobby Biswal, and a lot of other great people at ooma. I'm in for the long term. I think that Rich may have been disappointed by some contractual issues that have nothing to do with the stability of the company. Of course, this is just a guess. But I'm happy with my purchases and with the commitment to Lifetime Premier. Now if Dennis or Bobby left ooma, then I'd worry - BIG TIME!

lol, the minute Dennis P leaves, I leave. lol
I agree - but also include Bobby B. These two are the reason many of us are happy ooma users. They step in at the right point and save the day. I don't know when if if they sleep, but they are both awesome! :P
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

amoney
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Rich Buchanan (CMO) left Ooma!

Post by amoney » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:03 pm

southsound wrote:
whn wrote:
southsound wrote:With Tami Bhaumik as Vice President of Corporate Marketing I don't think we have a thing to worry about. We still have Dennis Peng (Dennis P on the forums), Bobby Biswal, and a lot of other great people at ooma. I'm in for the long term. I think that Rich may have been disappointed by some contractual issues that have nothing to do with the stability of the company. Of course, this is just a guess. But I'm happy with my purchases and with the commitment to Lifetime Premier. Now if Dennis or Bobby left ooma, then I'd worry - BIG TIME!

lol, the minute Dennis P leaves, I leave. lol
I agree - but also include Bobby B. These two are the reason many of us are happy ooma users. They step in at the right point and save the day. I don't know when if if they sleep, but they are both awesome! :P
I see NTOY helping out alot aswell.

I feel for them haveing to hearing about ridiculous customer support failures.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

Post Reply