Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#42700 by jaysullivan
Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:20 am
Quick question - if I port my landline to Ooma, will I lose the Ooma number that I already have, or will both still work?

When I installed the Ooma I decided not to integrate my landline. This allowed me to pick an Ooma number which I kind of like. It would be nice if that number still worked after I ported my landline. But I assume my outgoing calls would have my landline number on the caller ID once the number has been ported.

Thanks
#42702 by murphy
Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:23 am
If you are a Premier subscriber, you can request that the Ooma number be retained as your second number. Otherwise it will go away when your port is complete.
#42705 by jaysullivan
Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:33 am
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not planning on keeping the Premier service after the free trial ends, so I guess I would lose the Ooma number.

But now that I think about it some more, I may not port my number after all. I'd like to use Google Voice, but I want people to use the same number that they've had for me for years. If I port that number to Ooma, I can't use that number for GV. But if I keep the number with Verizon, then I can use call forwarding to have it go to GV and then have GV ring my Ooma number. Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

One down-side to this is that outgoing calls will still have my Ooma number. Hmmm, lots to consider!
#42810 by bw1
Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:49 pm
jaysullivan wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not planning on keeping the Premier service after the free trial ends, so I guess I would lose the Ooma number.

But now that I think about it some more, I may not port my number after all. I'd like to use Google Voice, but I want people to use the same number that they've had for me for years. If I port that number to Ooma, I can't use that number for GV. But if I keep the number with Verizon, then I can use call forwarding to have it go to GV and then have GV ring my Ooma number. Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

One down-side to this is that outgoing calls will still have my Ooma number. Hmmm, lots to consider!

It's possible that would work. It's also possible you'll have problems. It seems like a lot of trouble to accomplish what exactly?
You're going to have to continue paying Verizon for the landline that you're not using?

GV can have problems with their system too.

If you have a Telo, since it might not be available for the Hub, you may want to see what Ooma is able to deliver with their Google Voice Extensions.
#42827 by jaysullivan
Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:54 pm
bw1 wrote:It's possible that would work. It's also possible you'll have problems. It seems like a lot of trouble to accomplish what exactly? You're going to have to continue paying Verizon for the landline that you're not using?

If you have a Telo, since it might not be available for the Hub, you may want to see what Ooma is able to deliver with their Google Voice Extensions.

The main thing I'm trying to accomplish is to keep my phone number that I've had for a decade, but use GV. I really wanted to port the number to Ooma and cancel my monthly bill with Verizon (and still use GV for voicemail), but it looks like that's not an option until the GV extensions come out (and even then I might need to "upgrade" to a Telo).

The only way that I figure out how to make this work is if I keep my phone number with Verizon on a bare-bones plan (but add in call forwarding) and forward that number to GV. GV will then ring my Ooma number. I will configure the Ooma voicemail with a long ring count so that the GV voicemail will pick up first.

I'm just thinking out loud at the moment. It's pretty cool that we have devices/services like GV and Ooma, but all the options make my head swim! :) In the end I will probably bite the bullet and just give up my old phone number and have everyone start calling my native GV number. I just wish I could get everything to work with my old landline number.