Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#42211 by Sarfa
Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:36 pm
Hi,

I've had my Ooma hub (white) for about 9 months now. It was working fine until about 3 weeks ago. All of a sudden, I'm having this strange problem. Let me describe it.

First of all, the Ooma tab is blue and no other lights are lit (normal). When I go to setup.ooma.com, it shows that I am connected to both the internet and ooma core. My Ooma is behind my cable modem and in front of my wireless router. I have no problems connecting to the internet from my computer. I am not using a landline with my Ooma.

My problem is that my telephone does not work. When I pick up the phone, I do not get a dial tone and the line 1 button on the Ooma does not light up. Incoming calls ring and go to voicemail for the caller, but my phone does not ring. If I unplug my Ooma and plug it back it, this fixes the problem temporarily, but at some point the Ooma tab flashes red, there is a clicking sound, the tab then changes blue, and the telephone no longer works. The length of time between unplugging the Ooma and flashing/clicking seems to be random -- it will occasionally work for hours at a time, and other times for just a few minutes. This could be wrong, but I get the impression that talking on the phone makes it happen more often.

I am very worried that the Ooma is shot. Does anyone have any advice/suggestions?

Thank you,
S
#42349 by bw1
Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:47 am
You could try eliminating as many variables as possible - disconnect and turn off the wireless router.
Change phone and ethernet cables.
Change the Modem port MAC address to use built in on the Network page of http://setup.ooma.com/
Try a different phone, possibly a corded instead of cordless phone.
#42863 by Sarfa
Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:15 am
bw1 wrote:You could try eliminating as many variables as possible - disconnect and turn off the wireless router.
Change phone and ethernet cables.
Change the Modem port MAC address to use built in on the Network page of http://setup.ooma.com/
Try a different phone, possibly a corded instead of cordless phone.

Tried connecting the ooma directly into my computer (removing the wireless router from the loop) -- same problem occurred.
Tried changing the MAC address from "Automatic" to "Built-in" -- same problem
Originally connected to a corded phone. Tried changing phones to a brand-new cordless phone -- same problem

I don't have any extra ethernet or telephone cables at the moment, but do you really think that could be the problem here? Isn't there a way for Ooma to check the logs or something? Perhaps that would help shed light on the problem...

EDIT: Here is the info from my setup screens:

Your ooma Network is Connected
Internet: Connected
Ooma Core: Connected
Phone Line: Disconnected
Ooma Services
Phone Setup: Your phone line is configured for the ooma network
Second Line: Enabled
Voice Mail: Enabled

Network
MODEM: Connected : [59.171.8.230]
HOME: Connected : [172.27.35.1]
Ooma Tunnel: Connected
Services
Telephony: 50 - Running
DNS: 45 - Running
Web Server: 47 - Running
VPN: 1156 - Running
Free: 37480

HOME Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:61:01:72:08
inet addr:172.27.35.1 Bcast:172.27.35.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:4672 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:4774 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:394693 (385.4 KiB) TX bytes:933147 (911.2 KiB)
Interrupt:14

MODEM Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:61:01:72:09
inet addr:59.171.8.230 Bcast:255.255.255.255 Mask:255.255.254.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:28759 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:13091 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:2908061 (2.7 MiB) TX bytes:1133832 (1.0 MiB)
Interrupt:13

Thanks,
S
#47189 by Vandervecken
Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:23 pm
I'm having a problem that sounds similar in some respects. I have a hub and 2 scouts. Until 3 days ago, everything was fine. Then, one scout also started the red blinking and lost connection you're describing. I swaped scouts and both work; it isn't the equipment, at least I don't see how it can be, since, as I said, when I swap scouts the attached to the JACK upstairs works. no matter which scout it is.

So you'd say it has to be the downstairs jack, right? AH. Here's where it gets weird. The jack works fine from 6am to 6pm. Exactly like clockwork, the scout attached to the downstairs jack starts giving trouble--flashing red, then being rediscovered by the hub--at 6pm on the dot; In about 45 minutes, after blue-red-blue-red-etc, the hub can't re-establish contact with the scout at all. Then at 6am on the dot the next morning, the hub is able to re-establish connection with the scout.

No landline, but I'm wondering if some little voltage is suddenly coming in from the phone line still attached to the jack on the outside of the house, and, somehow, interrupting the connection between the hub and the downstairs jack only, which is weird, but what else could this be, poltergeists? This DID all start one day after we had a big snowfall here in NYC.
#47192 by Groundhound
Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:18 pm
Vandervecken wrote:I'm having a problem that sounds similar in some respects. I have a hub and 2 scouts. Until 3 days ago, everything was fine. Then, one scout also started the red blinking and lost connection you're describing. I swaped scouts and both work; it isn't the equipment, at least I don't see how it can be, since, as I said, when I swap scouts the attached to the JACK upstairs works. no matter which scout it is.

So you'd say it has to be the downstairs jack, right? AH. Here's where it gets weird. The jack works fine from 6am to 6pm. Exactly like clockwork, the scout attached to the downstairs jack starts giving trouble--flashing red, then being rediscovered by the hub--at 6pm on the dot; In about 45 minutes, after blue-red-blue-red-etc, the hub can't re-establish contact with the scout at all. Then at 6am on the dot the next morning, the hub is able to re-establish connection with the scout.

No landline, but I'm wondering if some little voltage is suddenly coming in from the phone line still attached to the jack on the outside of the house, and, somehow, interrupting the connection between the hub and the downstairs jack only, which is weird, but what else could this be, poltergeists? This DID all start one day after we had a big snowfall here in NYC.

Before you call Ghostbusters, make sure you have the Telco's line disconnected at the demarc box. Even though you have no landline they will still have voltage on the line. Ghostbusters may still be necessary, I have no ideas about the 6 to 6 thing....
#47193 by murphy
Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:20 pm
Disconnect the outside phone line jack from your house wiring if you don't have a land line.
I once found that one of my disconnected phone lines had accidentally been tied to the phone line of a business that is on the other side of the main highway.
#48010 by arthur.howell
Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:50 pm
I Have the original ooma core sitting behind my a hardware firewall/router (configured and working correctly). I have a cheap VTech cordless phone connected to the Ooma. I cannot make nor receive calls on my phone but the Ooma will accept incoming phone calls, Line 1 will flash as if it is ringing and then the incoming call will go to voice mail after 2 rings (how I have it configured). I have checked every configuration for an issue going to the phone line and there are none that I can find. I am contacting customer support perhaps they will give a fix to this.
#48015 by arthur.howell
Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:15 pm
Called tech support, waiting on update. Will update this forum when they call back with a way to fix/patch the ooma device.

~Update: Well they haven't called back, I will hope they do tomorrow I guess. If not I'll call them back on Tuesday.