Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#42191 by CarlG
Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:10 pm
I keep losing my connection to my office and I'm beginning to wonder if the culprit might be the Ooma Telo. I've got the Telo setup between the modem and router and am running Cisco VPN software from my desktop to connect to my office. Periodically one of my applications--MS SQLServer--loses connection to a server in the office. The VPN connection is sill active but SQLServer isn't. I read somewhere that Ooma uses VPN to talk to their servers; I wonder if perhaps the two cannot coexist. I've been experiencing this problem over the past week, which is exactly when I installed the Telo.
#42192 by amoney
Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:28 pm
Well if your VPN is still connected then your not actually losing VPN connectivity. Your sql application however is.

Check to monitor if the application stops when receiving phone calls. In your configuration when a call comes through the Ooma device reserves a very large chuck of the upload band width which could cause an issue BUT since your VPN remains connected, it would indicate that it is not enough to throw your VPN connection.

I would recommend trying to put the Telo behind your router and see if improvments.

On the other hand it could just be coincedence.

Lets us know.

I am also running Cisco VPN client software from home connecting to work, mind you not a sql connection but I have not had any issues. Telo setup currently like yours between modem and router.
#42216 by CarlG
Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:10 pm
This turned out to be a SQL Server specific problem and not an issue with either Telo or Cisco VPN. There is a MS knowledgebase article about it at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942861 We've reconfigured our database server so hopefully the problem will be resolved.

Once again Ooma has survived my fears that it will have some fatal flaw that will not allow it to work for me. I am consistently impressed by this product at each turn.