Using Ooma with desktop FAX software

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
oraymus

Using Ooma with desktop FAX software

Post by oraymus » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:54 am

I have read the forums for info on using Ooma for faxing. I see that it has been hit and miss with some. As a 3 year user of VOIP through Vonage, I've never had a problem faxing through their system. I'm hoping that I will have the same luck with Ooma. I have yet to use Ooma (waiting for porting of old number). I do not fax that often but like the convienience of having that ability when I need it.

My rickity old fax machine has no ink paper and is ready for the trash heap. What little faxing I do, I am considering purchasing a desktop fax program that utilizes the fax modem on my computer. I used to use Microsoft Fax but they took it away when they came out with Vista. :x I'm looking at software from Essential Fax. It sells for $19.95, a lot less than buying a new fax machine. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on using Ooma with a fax modem and desktop faxing software?

ntoy

Re: Using Ooma with desktop FAX software

Post by ntoy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:02 am

Hello,

Sorry, PC faxing via Ooma is not supported.

oomab

Post by oomab » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:53 pm

works for me with windows scan and fax , use prefix *99

bw1

Post by bw1 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:02 pm

Pasarescu

Post by Pasarescu » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:40 am

Using prefix *99 worked for me as well. Thank you for the tip, oomab! :D

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:21 pm

So just out of curiosity, how long did it take to fax the cat using *99 and how did the received cat turn out? I think I saw this once in the movie, The Prestige.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

oomg

Post by oomg » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:22 pm

I use the OneSuite efax system. As little as $1.00 per month for unlimited incoming to one email address. If you think you need more, go for their $2.95 per month deal. Unlimited incoming faxes to as many as 5 email addresses, plus outgoing at 2.5 cents per page. Upon delivery of the fax, a copy with delivery confirmation is returned to your designated emal. You will need a scanner as outgoing copies use a pdf file to attach to the cover page. Very easy to use, and inexpensive as well.

See: http://www.onesuite.com/products_OneSuiteFax.asp
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

qchau

Post by qchau » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:13 pm

If after putting in *99 and it doesn't work drop your speed on your modem and it should work just fine.

VicMatson

Post by VicMatson » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:23 pm

Incoming fax's will be included with Google Voice eventually, but I have no idea how they are, or will, handle outgoing.

deputyjrp55

Post by deputyjrp55 » Tue May 11, 2010 5:58 am

Ok, I am tyring to use windows fax and scan, but when I click on "New Fax" button, I get a pop up...
Choose a fax modem or server...

How do I do the set up? I use my HPPhotosmart 2610 all in one printer for faxing...

Thanks