Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#41589 by zelda
Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:13 pm
My config is 2Wire 1701HG DSL modem->Ooma Telo->Hub->Desktop PCs. (My laptops are connected with Wireless)

First Question: What's the proper way to turn off the Ooma Telo? or how to turn it off "nicely"? Can I just unplug its power adapter while it is running? Will it corrupt the firmware?

Second Question: My 2Wire 1701HG DSL modem has wireless integrated, before I have my Ooma Telo, my wireless used to work fine. After I installed the Ooma Telo, my desktop PCs in the LAN are ok but not the wireless (it works intermittently), sometimes I have to unplug the DSL modem and the Ooma Telo in order for the wireless to work. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!
#41598 by EDog
Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:11 pm
The only way I know of to 'turn off the Ooma' is to yank the power cord.

There is another post regarding no voice mail in a different thread by someone using the same modem that says the modem is resetting when the phone rings, and that post in combination with this post leads me to want to try and eliminate periodic connection failures as the root cause, possibly caused by intermittent lost authentication with AT&T.

Check out the following posts and see if either of them describe at all what you are seeing:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r182061 ... onnections
http://forums.practicallynetworked.com/ ... php?t=7369

Does your Internet connection reliably stay up when downloading large files or Windows service packs, etc.?
#41813 by zelda
Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:48 am
EDog, I really appreciate your help, I will try to run more diagnostics and let you know how it goes....thanks again!

Another question, if I put my Ooma Telo in DMZPlus mode, will it cause any security issue? Say if someone knows my IP address, then they can access my Ooma??? :o

Below is what the DMZPlus mode looks like in my 2wire modem.

#41818 by Groundhound
Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:15 am
zelda wrote:Another question, if I put my Ooma Telo in DMZPlus mode, will it cause any security issue? Say if someone knows my IP address, then they can access my Ooma??? :o

As long as you don't also put anything into the Telo's DMZ or Telo's port forwarding (in setup.ooma.com), you should be OK.

Regarding the intermittent wireless, what kind of phones are you using?

zelda wrote:My config is 2Wire 1701HG DSL modem->Ooma Telo->Hub->Desktop PCs. (My laptops are connected with Wireless)
Looking at your setup, I would consider replacing the hub with a network switch and changing your setup to:
1701HG DSL modem->Switch->Ooma Telo & Desktop PCs, where both the Telo and the Desktop PC's are plugged into the switch. That way all of your computers, wired and wireless, will be on the same subnet. In this configuration nothing would be connected to the Telo's home port unless you needed to access the Telo's setup temporarily.
#41978 by tommies
Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:49 am
I'm second Groundhound sugestion.
Second Question: My 2Wire 1701HG DSL modem has wireless integrated, before I have my Ooma Telo, my wireless used to work fine. After I installed the Ooma Telo, my desktop PCs in the LAN are ok but not the wireless (it works intermittently), sometimes I have to unplug the DSL modem and the Ooma Telo in order for the wireless to work. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

Does your laptop has internet but cannot connect to others pc on wired network. If so, follow Groundhound sugetstion will solve the issues.

If your laptop has choppy internet connection, it could be the interference from your cordless phone. It's known that those 2.4MHz and 5.8MHz cordless phone are interfered with wireless(they operate on the same frequencies.) Temporary change to a (old) corded phone (and disconnect the power/remove battery of the cordless phone) to see if the problem goes away. BTW, those wireless keyboard/mice also on 2.4MHz and could be a source of interferences.

Yes, my 5.8MHz Panasonic phone works just fine with my wireless router before ooma, After I installed the ooma hub, the call quality is horrible and the internet connection through wireless is choppy at best. The problem solves after I change to a new Dect. 6.0 cordless phone.
#42078 by amoney
Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:50 pm
tommies wrote:Yes, my 5.8MHz Panasonic phone works just fine with my wireless router before ooma, After I installed the ooma hub, the call quality is horrible and the internet connection through wireless is choppy at best. The problem solves after I change to a new Dect. 6.0 cordless phone.

Coincedence?

I dont see how a wireless radio freq would interfer with a wired ethernet box.
#42098 by tommies
Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:50 pm
amoney wrote:
tommies wrote:Yes, my 5.8MHz Panasonic phone works just fine with my wireless router before ooma, After I installed the ooma hub, the call quality is horrible and the internet connection through wireless is choppy at best. The problem solves after I change to a new Dect. 6.0 cordless phone.

Coincedence?

I won't interfere with a wired box, but sure will interfere with a wireless one, which operates on 2.4MHz, same frequency with those mention cordless phone and/or keyboard/mice.
#42108 by amoney
Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:49 pm
tommies wrote:
amoney wrote:

Coincedence?

I won't interfere with a wired box, but sure will interfere with a wireless one, which operates on 2.4MHz, same frequency with those mention cordless phone and/or keyboard/mice.

Right!

But you mentioned that your wifi was working with the 5.8 previously. I just did not understand identifying 5.8 being responsible for interferring with your wifi after adding Ooma.

If the new DECT phones work better, more power to you!

:D