Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#41003 by EDog
Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:20 am
I don't understand why Ooma needs to act as a router and use ip 172.25.35.x. My config is DSL Modem->Router->Ooma Telo->PC, and I want to access the PC from my netowrk. The Ooma Ineternet port is 192.168.2.12, home port is 172.25.35.1. The PC behind Ooma is 172.25.35.25 and I can't get to it from 192.168.2.x. Is there a way to configure Ooma (short of putting it in front of my Linksys router) so I can get to the machine connected to Ooma's Home port from other machines on the 192.168.2.x network?

Another observation I don't understand, is why is the Ooma DHCP configured for a starting IP of 172.25.35.10, yet my only machine behind Ooma has an IP address of 172.25.35.25? Why isn't it 172.25.35.10?

Confused...
#41010 by amoney
Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:15 am
Just connect the PC to an available router port. You may be abe to edit the firwall rulles to allow access, perhaps even put your PC in the Ooma DMZ (WARNING ONLY DO THAT IF THE OOMA IS BEHIND YOUR ROUTER TO BE PROTECTED). Again just connect your computer to the router, if you want to access the SETUP.OOMA without having to connect the "home port", you can place a port 80 forwarding rule in the Ooma for the Ooma IP address 172.x.x.x (then you can access the setup.ooma page by typing the IP address assigned to the Ooma by your router.

DHCP does not go in any particular sequence. I think you were misunderstood the setup instruction alittle. Use the port forwarding rule to access the setup.ooma page.

I am going to find that post and bump, request a sticky it is a repeated topic.
#41042 by EDog
Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:36 am
Unfortunately my two routers are downstairs. I've got all the wired networked maches downstairs and I have Beyond TV server running on one of them. The kitchen upstairs runs Beyond TV Link, and the Ooma is between the router downstairs and they Beyond TV Link in the kitchen. It was a pain to run the network cable from downstairs to the kitchen upstairs, but it was a necessity due to the required bandwidth for BTV Link. Incidentally, I can talk on the phone while my wife watches TV in the kitchen (via BTV Link) with no call quality problems.

Maybe I'll play around with setting ooma to static IP, and use an unused IP from my 192.168.2.x network. I've never had experience with a router with both adapters on the same network. Kind of defeats the purpose of the router :)

The more I think about it, maybe I should just keep an eye out for a cheap switch, I'll have a look on Craigslist.