Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#40777 by caseybea
Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:58 pm
For starters, after doing lots and lots of reading, I decided for MY needs, the Ooma CORE (hub/scout) was what I needed ; my goal is to replace my landline- but still have caller ID (with name). Sadly, the Telo doesn't support that unless you go withthe premium service. I won't be getting premiere service. MAYBE some day in the future, we'll see.

Hooked it all up; worked, unit then rebooted 5 minutes later. I believe it was doing an online firmware update :-)

Call quality: Great. Can't tell the difference between this and the land line. I'm impressed with the ooma hardware, and how easy this was to get working.

Hookup: Once I wrapped my brain around the Modem/Home port differences, and how to access the internal ooma setup/status page without a dual-connected unit, I was set. My unit is behind the router. (cable>cable-modem>router>ooma). Adding the scout was a snap; that's in my daughter's room. Her phone line is isolated from the rest of the home, she's my test case for the next 60 days before I commit to porting my land line over. I figure the best way to test how well this works (great thus far!!) is by having the chatty teenage daughter try it out. She's very pleased thus far.

So far- every single aspect of this has gone to plan. I understand there are issues with customer service-- I hope these get solved over time. I'll comment here on how my porting goes in 2 months. I suspect that is where my bliss will end and a nigmare starts... crossing my fingers on that one.

I've read a lot of stuff on the forums, and I have these thoughts and observations to offer others:

Ooma Telo vs Ooma core:
It appears to me that the majority of problems out there are Telo users. problematic telo units, problems with accounts switching from core-service to telo-service, and so on. My gut check says, the Telo isn't ready for prime time; that the hardware was probably made on the cheap, and rushed to market before the flaws were resolved. Again- this is my gut feeling... (and as far as TRULY saving $$$, the core is the way to go anyway because of the service level agreements with the core units...)

Wiring:
Everyone should know how well their wiring is in their home - the phone wiring. The home we live in was built in 1968 - and the existing phone wiring showed it. I ripped it all out and re-wired my entire home with cat5e cable, a really nice patch panel - it's a wonderful setup, and I can personally guarantee my wiring is flawless. All the wiring and tools can be purchased at places like Home Depot, Lowes, etc. OK, so not everyone out there is capable of re-wiring a home-- but if you have an older home- either re-di it yourself or go get sometone to re-do the phone/data wiring if the wiring is older than say, 15-20 years. I would guess the internal phone wiring in most homes is overlooked. Everyone just assumes it's good.

Internet:
Your internet service is KEY. I am certain that the reason I have apparently crystal clear ooma voice quality is because I have a rocking internet connection. 7mbs/464K time-warner (Roadrunner) cable. I personally don't think many DSL setups are worth the demands of ooma voip. Sure, it will "work", but I bet the audible quality has issues, hiccups, etc. There's a reason DSL is that much cheaper then cable. You just don't have the same bandwidth.

Network knowledge, and your router:
If you're doing ANYTHING other than hooking the ooma as the first device after your cable modem, you better know what you're doing, and more important, you need a really decent router. A lot of the consumer routers out there are crap. And for the consumer routers out there that have decent hardware, they're junk anyway because of the buggy firmware loaded on them by linksys, d-link, etc.

If you want to have your ooma behind your router (as I insist for my home) - for gods sake drop the router's crappy firmware and get something in there that works-- the top three router firmware replacements are: dd-wrt, openwrt, and tomato. They're all free, (they each have pros and cons), but the bottom line is-- they're all open-source firmware replacements for your router that just WORK. If this is beyond you, or you're nervous that re-flasing your router with new firmware will turn your router into a brick-- go find your favorite relative or friend that's a system/network guru, and seek his/her help. Invite them to your home, have them update/flash/config your router- and give them a dinner certifcate to a nice local restaurant. :-)

Anyway, my $0.02. Thus far, it's all good. Little blue lights, clear call quality, caller-id, calls work in and out, etc. I'll report back in 60 days.
#40796 by feartheturtle
Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:38 pm
Happy for you! Hope you keep the faith! When all is finished we hope you are a satisfied premier customer; really!!!

What I'm most interested in is your daughters' call quality report. Since she has the Scout in her room, does that mean that the phone she uses is physically connected to the "phone port" on the Scout? Most users report that these calls are not worthy of comparison with calls made from the Hub. The problem will always be on the "non-Ooma" part of the call. If you have doubts, call your office phone and leave a test message from your daughter's phone. If you have the same results as me you will shudder!!
#40820 by Mike-o-Matic
Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:01 am
feartheturtle wrote:If you have the same results as me you will shudder!!

I take it that means you have bad results? Check out the wiring over which your HPNA operates. I use my hub and scout equally and both have phenomenal sound quality. That is to say, better quality than my old landline which used the same wiring.
#40822 by Bill D
Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:11 am
Mike-o-Matic,

I second feartheturtle's comments. But I've seen so many posts from Scout users like you that don't hear a difference in call quality, that I wonder if all Scouts have the same call quality problem that many of us have experienced. I'm eager to learn about your comparison of call quality when someone on the non-Ooma end of a call is listening to a talker on a phone plugged into your Scout's phone port vs a phone plugged into your Hub's phone port.

Many of us have eliminated all wiring issues and ran many tests. The Scout calls are legible but have a scratchy intermittent static.

Other than the Scout call quality issue, I'm a very happy Ooma user with 3 Hubs in 2 homes and I'm only using all my Scouts to access VM.

Bill
#40826 by AZGuyJoe
Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:18 am
I use a scout for my voice line (I have a fax line plugged into the hub).
The sound quality is at least equal to the quality I got with phone service through Cox.
After reading this thread I temporarily switched the lines (put the voice line in the hub) and didn't notice any difference in voice quality.
I'm using a Uniden wireless base (DECT 6.0) with the scout. I should note that I was using an older wireless DECT 6.0 base (GE) that had so-so quality on Cox and connected to the scout.
#40830 by Bill D
Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:29 am
You'll only hear the difference if you are listening on the non-Ooma side of the call.

Bill
#40831 by Aveamantium
Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:30 am
Bill D wrote:Mike-o-Matic,

I second feartheturtle's comments. But I've seen so many posts from Scout users like you that don't hear a difference in call quality, that I wonder if all Scouts have the same call quality problem that many of us have experienced. I'm eager to learn about your comparison of call quality when someone on the non-Ooma end of a call is listening to a talker on a phone plugged into your Scout's phone port vs a phone plugged into your Hub's phone port.

Many of us have eliminated all wiring issues and ran many tests. The Scout calls are legible but have a scratchy intermittent static.

Other than the Scout call quality issue, I'm a very happy Ooma user with 3 Hubs in 2 homes and I'm only using all my Scouts to access VM.

Bill

Agreed!
#40835 by Mike-o-Matic
Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:45 am
Wow, that's all very good to know. I hadn't heard any complaints from the people I've called, but I'll ask them about it.

Thanks for the additional feedback.
#40841 by Bill D
Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:04 am
Mike-o-Matic wrote:Wow, that's all very good to know. I hadn't heard any complaints from the people I've called, but I'll ask them about it.

Complaints from my friends about call quality first alerted me to this problem. To hear it yourself, you can record two test VMs to yourself by calling your "other" Ooma number (you can't call the number you're dialing from and leave a message). Monotone sounds are worse, like "EEEEEEEEE". To eliminate variables, I used the same phone and wire moved between Hub and Scout when leaving the messages. I also tried *99 for the G711 codec, which improved overall inbound and outbound quality on both Hub and Scout, but the Scout calls still had scratchy static. Ooma's literature admits there's some sort of difference between Scout and Hub call quality because they say not to fax on a Scout.

Bill
#40858 by caseybea
Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:19 am
Bill D wrote:You'll only hear the difference if you are listening on the non-Ooma side of the call.

Bill

Crud. I see now (as I search) that yeah, there's a lot of scout-quality issue out there. That's too bad. Not horrid, it just makes my final setup less flexible.

In the final setup, I was hoping to have the scout in my kitchen - the convenient one-button voicemail thing. But I can live without it.

It's good to know, and I can easily isolate the scout from the equation as my testing ensures.