Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#42353 by MsCoulter
Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:36 am
MsCoulter wrote:
murphy wrote:Leases are customarily renewed when half of the lease time has expired to make it likely that the IP address won't change. If your ISP gives you a 10 day lease, it will be renewed after 5 days. Are you certain that you have the Ooma set to use the built-in MAC address? In addition to clicking the radio button you have to click the update button.

Also check your router to make sure that it is not set to spoof it's MAC address.


OK, I got into my router's setup. WAN settings are dynamic. In the LAN settings its says: Lease time for assigned IP address: two weeks (that is the longest time possible). I don't see anything pertaining to spoofing a mac address.
#42386 by MsCoulter
Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:39 am
Guess what? My Internet connection just went down again, only 4 days from the last time. Also, power cycling the devices as prescribed earlier modem->ooma hub->router...did not work. What did work was modem->router->ooma. I don't know why this is. I give up! Is this what I have to accept in order to have no phone bill? Also, it happened right after an outgoing call ended.

I also want to say again that in the first 5 weeks that I had the ooma connected but was not using it (because I was waiting for my number to be ported), the Internet connection never went down and the ooma light stayed blue. This problem did not start until I actually started using the ooma on a daily basis. This is why I believe that the problem is within the ooma device and not related to my cable service, the modem, or the router.
#42446 by amoney
Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:19 pm
murphy wrote:Leases are customarily renewed when half of the lease time has expired to make it likely that the IP address won't change. If your ISP gives you a 10 day lease, it will be renewed after 5 days. Are you certain that you have the Ooma set to use the built-in MAC address? In addition to clicking the radio button you have to click the update button.

Also check your router to make sure that it is not set to spoof it's MAC address.


I disagree, DHCP sets a expire time and upon that expire time, the deivce (in this case your cable modem) renews, now if the cable modem for some reason powers off and comes back on or any device in regards to that matter, may renew "early". Note sometimes your IP can stay the same for several renews, its just up to the DHCP server and what it feels like doing at a given time.

Note, your modems IP lease has no effect on your clients, HOWEVER if there should be a power loss (surge etc.) your devices may loose connectivity due to restarting in improper sequence etc. I would recommend an inexpensive 40 dollar UPS to rule that factor out, plus its good practice keeping your network up without glitches.

Additionally I would try connecting ooma to your router (modem>router>telo) and see if call quality remains good, if so if there is a network glitch that throws off the Ooma, at least your network will not go down and you just need to power cycle the Ooma box since it is isolated.
#42454 by MsCoulter
Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:57 pm
amoney wrote:
murphy wrote:Leases are customarily renewed when half of the lease time has expired to make it likely that the IP address won't change. If your ISP gives you a 10 day lease, it will be renewed after 5 days. Are you certain that you have the Ooma set to use the built-in MAC address? In addition to clicking the radio button you have to click the update button.

Also check your router to make sure that it is not set to spoof it's MAC address.


I disagree, DHCP sets a expire time and upon that expire time, the deivce (in this case your cable modem) renews, now if the cable modem for some reason powers off and comes back on or any device in regards to that matter, may renew "early". Note sometimes your IP can stay the same for several renews, its just up to the DHCP server and what it feels like doing at a given time.

Note, your modems IP lease has no effect on your clients, HOWEVER if there should be a power loss (surge etc.) your devices may loose connectivity due to restarting in improper sequence etc. I would recommend an inexpensive 40 dollar UPS to rule that factor out, plus its good practice keeping your network up without glitches.

Additionally I would try connecting ooma to your router (modem>router>telo) and see if call quality remains good, if so if there is a network glitch that throws off the Ooma, at least your network will not go down and you just need to power cycle the Ooma box since it is isolated.


Hello Murphy,
I do have all devices on a UPS battery backup so that brownouts or blackouts will have no effect. I was here when it happened and my computer is on an APC UPS with the software installed. Any time there is the slightest power fluctuation, I am notified. That did not occur today. I will try putting the ooma hub (not a telo) in front of the router, but I have seen where that causes others many problems. I had previously noted that the last time was 7 days so I thought I was onto something with regard to frequency, but now it took only 4 days so I don't know what to think. I still say it is related to the fact that I am finally using the ooma system and perhap,s the more I use the phone, the sooner it will happen again.

Also, I am positive it is set to use the built-in mac address. I have attached a screenshot.
Attachments
oomasetup.jpg
oomasetup.jpg (198.59 KiB) Viewed 1867 times
#42461 by amoney
Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:42 pm
MsCoulter wrote:I do have all devices on a UPS battery backup so that brownouts or blackouts will have no effect. I was here when it happened and my computer is on an APC UPS with the software installed. Any time there is the slightest power fluctuation, I am notified. That did not occur today. I will try putting the ooma hub (not a telo) in front of the router, but I have seen where that causes others many problems. I had previously noted that the last time was 7 days so I thought I was onto something with regard to frequency, but now it took only 4 days so I don't know what to think. I still say it is related to the fact that I am finally using the ooma system and perhap,s the more I use the phone, the sooner it will happen again.

Also, I am positive it is set to use the built-in mac address. I have attached a screenshot.


Just to clarify, whe you say you will try putting your HUB in front of the router (modem>HUB>ROUTER), I ment (MODEM>ROUTER>HUB).

Running out od simple options to try, you could buy (check return options) a new modem and register with your ISP and see if things improve, even try to buy a cheap one from eBay.

Or see if customer support would exchange the HUB.
#42467 by amoney
Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:05 pm
MsCoulter wrote:I did email support about this today...lets see what they say (not holding breath).



Ah, I missed this interesting clue...

Also, it happened right after an outgoing call ended.


Check to see if you can reproduce this again a few times.

I believe I saw another thread that had the same issue, I will go dig...

What was the model of your modem?
#42499 by MsCoulter
Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:34 pm
amoney wrote:
MsCoulter wrote:I did email support about this today...lets see what they say (not holding breath).



Ah, I missed this interesting clue...

Also, it happened right after an outgoing call ended.


Check to see if you can reproduce this again a few times.

I believe I saw another thread that had the same issue, I will go dig...

What was the model of your modem?


I can't reproduce it as it happens at random. The modem is RCA brand as provided by Time Warner Cable several years ago... model # DCM-385. Thank you for digging for me.
#42502 by amoney
Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:09 pm
MsCoulter wrote:
amoney wrote:
MsCoulter wrote:I did email support about this today...lets see what they say (not holding breath).



Ah, I missed this interesting clue...

Also, it happened right after an outgoing call ended.


Check to see if you can reproduce this again a few times.

I believe I saw another thread that had the same issue, I will go dig...

What was the model of your modem?


I can't reproduce it as it happens at random. The modem is RCA brand as provided by Time Warner Cable several years ago... model # DCM-385. Thank you for digging for me.


Well, I would call them up and say its dead, let them send a replacement modem and see.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests