Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#39397 by The Talker
Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:15 am
Where does a voice message data reside? (Telo)
When testing this out, leaving a voice message then unplugging all cables except power, I was unable to play the message.
So thing brought up the question for me of where does the actual data reside? In the Telo device or on Ooma servers?

More questions:
Is it like a speaker phone or an announce only device? (play incoming only) I did hear the message being played through the Telo when the message was being left by the caller (with the option to pick up phone or handset during pre-screen). How is the volume level controlled when the message is played or being left on the Telo?

I know about the handset sound controls and presume those settings are for each individual handset, when more handsets usage is implemented. Of which was promised by the end of this 2009 year. Hey, that's today.
Side note, while on customer support with a sales rep, she slipped and said additional handset usage would be next year.... ha... :cry:
#39399 by murphy
Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:19 am
Voice messages are stored on the Ooma servers.

The Telo base is announce only. It does not have a microphone.
#39672 by murphy
Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:51 am
Rene wrote:How much data storage space is allotted per mailbox?

murphy wrote:Voice messages are stored on the Ooma servers.....

I don't remember the value but I do remember that it is way more than I will ever use.
#39720 by amoney
Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:27 pm
Regarding the volume question, just my comments/experience, the Telo speaker is so bad that I find it useless, infact when I got the unit the speaker inside I figure dilogged from shipping, and was seemingly flopping around inside, anyways, the speaker is useless to me max volume is so low. It was just a consideration to use ooma for VM. I was planning to use my own answering machine anyways so no loss. I was just corious to hear other comments about the volume. Other than that the Telo installed without a hitch and is performing great. Comparing to other people issues I am fearfull getting a replacement Telo.
#39732 by The Talker
Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:01 pm
I have good hearing so I found it to be too loud with the speaker volume set to max and using it in a quiet home environment.
Other members in my household may find max better suited when using it in the garage or backyard, which has a louder ambient sound environment.
The max speaker setting would be good for users whose hearing is not so keen.
#39785 by Davesworld
Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:31 pm
amoney wrote: I was planning to use my own answering machine anyways so no loss.

Any reason why? You won't be able to call into it remotely anytime soon with ooma and other voip services and with modern voicemail with the ability to email you a sound file, text message your cell phone not to mention just use the flash based player on my ooma really makes the built in answering machines seem 20 years in the past, oh wait, they are in the past.
#39791 by amoney
Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:04 pm
Davesworld wrote:
amoney wrote: I was planning to use my own answering machine anyways so no loss.

Any reason why? You won't be able to call into it remotely anytime soon with ooma and other voip services and with modern voicemail with the ability to email you a sound file, text message your cell phone not to mention just use the flash based player on my ooma really makes the built in answering machines seem 20 years in the past, oh wait, they are in the past.

Yes I am aware, just dont have a big need for it, nor checking home messages. You are correct about the advantages.