Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#38398 by The Talker
Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:13 am
Ooma has 100% my $500, Me=40% usable equipment
12-23-2009
Handset nor phone plugged into Ooma Telo ring for incoming calls. Out going is fine on both.
I have 3 handsets with the forth on it's way. When will the additional handsets usable? I bought 4 handsets to use four handsets. To date, can only use one handset.

I've got nearly $500 wrapped into this system. You have 100% of my money and I have 40% usable equipment.
If the update is not soon, I'm returning all this equipment and requesting a refund.
#38402 by Aveamantium
Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:27 am
I understand you frustration completely but I'm sure the hard working Ooma Engineers are completely aware of the missed deadlines and are working the rear ends off to get the multiple handsets working. I have a pretty good feeling that we should be seeing something here in the next week or two if you can just hold out that long. Besides I like your avatar so I'd hate to see you go. :cool:
#38403 by The Talker
Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:53 am
The handsets shouldn't have been released for sale until the Telo system was 100% functioning as advertised/claimed. If there was a disclosure on the box at the time of purchase stating "additional handsets not operational until Jan 2010", I may feel differently. Who buys product like that though. Buy this, but you can't use it yet....

I bought this system and expect to fully use it as advertised. The addition integrated handsets were a big selling point for me in addition to the other 'features'. Like buying a car and expecting to get all 4 wheels plus the spare. What good is the car without the wheels!

I did a master reset as outlined in another section of these forums on the Telo Base and that made things worse.
I have come to think this is a self-help system. Phone support has a VERY long wait time to get through to someone. Merry Christmas gift recipients will clog phone support in the next few days too.

I haven't lost hope in Ooma, I'm just very disappointed but there is hope in restoring this customers faith in the system.

I have all my labels printed for product return to Amazon.com in the event this can not be resolved in the next few days.
#38406 by tesla2
Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:02 am
Aveamantium wrote:I understand you frustration completely but I'm sure the hard working Ooma Engineers are completely aware of the missed deadlines and are working the rear ends off to get the multiple handsets working. I have a pretty good feeling that we should be seeing something here in the next week or two if you can just hold out that long. Besides I like your avatar so I'd hate to see you go. :cool:

If it goes beyond the end of December, that will be FIVE, yes FIVE, missed deadlines. Announced dates for release of multi-handset support: by Dec 1st, by Dec 4th, by Dec 11th, by Dec 18th, by the end of Dec.

Clearly, there are some serious problems here. Ooma's original announcement for the Telo-handset combo indicated that there would be support for SIX handsets. At release time, that was knocked down to FOUR handsets, with the caveat that you could only use ONE handset. How do we know that the hardware can actually support the avertised features? Has there ever been a demonstration of a working prototype?

I don't know which is worse at this point....release buggy software/firmware or keep delaying, delaying, delaying and delaying support of merchandise which has already been advertised, released and purchased. If the end of Dec deadline is missed, my Telo and 4 handsets are going back. Ooma has cried "wolf" too many times to have credibility.
#38427 by The Talker
Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:01 am
I got a reply and did as instructed. Got 2 handsets to re-register. Third is still having issues.

System is still not ringing on connected telephone nor handset(s).

Now to get the Ooma system to ring on the handset and ring on connected the phone that's plugged into the Telo. (I know the connected phone works fine as I tested it separate from the Ooma system, rings, incoming/outgoing, all fine)

I know it's probably something simple. I have not given up hope (yet).
This is a lot effort when things should all work from right out of the box(s), including the additional handsets.
#38494 by The Talker
Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:01 pm
My response from Omma email support regarding the additional handsets dated Dec 23, 2009 7:00PM PST:

>>The latest word on this is - we have a release going out to beta users that enable more than one handset sometime tomorrow. If everything goes well with the test, then we'll be releasing this to out to production hopefully next week.<<
#38499 by mhouge
Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:23 pm
I agree with Aveamantium, the engineers are working hard. I would guess that they (and the software testers) are foregoing their Christmas holiday to ensure they have a job come January. Unfortunately, management has promised something that the engineers claimed "might be possible" by the end of the year, and management took that to mean that it would happen. I see that often in my line of work. Estimating software is a b!tch, and the engineers generally come out the losers.

I wouldn't be surprised if management is off for the holiday's, while the engineers are expected to come to work to fix the issues.

Folks, the technology is here, you need to blame management for promises not kept.
#38518 by The Talker
Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:43 pm
Blame someone or someone stand up and take responsibility. It's certainly not the customers fault. We are paying their salery regardless when they work. Their staffing schedual does not concern me.

This started many months ago. From hardware product development, product manufacturing, marketing, packaging, distribution and probably a lot of other stuff in getting product to market, this bad decision to send unusable at the time of purchase handsets didn't happen just last week. I'm sure this is at least a year in the making.

I would speculate the cost of waiting to release product would be more profitable vs sending unusable product to market then dealing with product returns, staffing additional customer service people, problem solving manuals scripts and such.

Me as the paying customer expect products to work as advertised at the time of purchase and not weeks nor months on down the road. I too work in an environment where product was 'pushed' to market too soon. Being in customer service myself, I know both sides of this issue and I don't agree with it.
My motto is that I work for my customer, not that I work for XYZ company.

I am happy to have gotten a reply from Ooma staff in regards to my handset usage question. I had asked a few time before I got a semi-solid answer.

It's not my intent to turn this thread into a pissing match. I am getting results and help from staff, but very slowly. I am being patient as I work in the customer service field also.