Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#34207 by dwjones
Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:57 am
I am looking to change over to a wireless cable modem/router. I currently have the Motorola SURFboard SB5101 cable modem. I noticed that several people on the forum have had trouble using Ooma with the product I was going to buy, which is the Motorola SURFboard SBG900 ModemGateway. Due to space limitations in my work space, I am not interested in installing a separate router behind my current modem. Anyone have any recommendations?
#34280 by kickkillerkallkonect
Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:34 am
Yes, I too only have a Netgear modem, with no router...running thru a Toshiba laptop, Canon printer/scanner, Telo
Ooma, and a Ooma handset....I got nothin'...no incoming, no outgoing, no voicemail retrieval, zippo.
Would it have to do with the configuration of the Netgear modem (IP address, MAC number, etc.) For one thing I noticed was that the Modem set-up asks for a 6 digit MAC #...but that # on the back of the modem, is alot more than 6 characters...do most advise a router?
I'm still lost after 3 days.....help.....
#34281 by Groundhound
Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:12 am
dwjones wrote:I am looking to change over to a wireless cable modem/router. I currently have the Motorola SURFboard SB5101 cable modem. I noticed that several people on the forum have had trouble using Ooma with the product I was going to buy, which is the Motorola SURFboard SBG900 ModemGateway. Due to space limitations in my work space, I am not interested in installing a separate router behind my current modem. Anyone have any recommendations?

The problem with many of the combo modem/routers is the inability to fully configure the firewall and/or QoS settings for the embedded router. Because the Ooma device is behind the router you've no option but to use the router's QoS no matter how limited its configuration options may be, so I would never recommend the use of a combo modem/router.
#34454 by koala
Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:47 pm
dwjones wrote:I am looking to change over to a wireless cable modem/router. I currently have the Motorola SURFboard SB5101 cable modem. I noticed that several people on the forum have had trouble using Ooma with the product I was going to buy, which is the Motorola SURFboard SBG900 ModemGateway. Due to space limitations in my work space, I am not interested in installing a separate router behind my current modem. Anyone have any recommendations?

I too am going to recommend never getting a combo router/modem. They just do not work well.

I use an SB5101 modem and Asus WL-500g Premium router and they work fantastically.
#34459 by hutbay
Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:43 pm
If you are willing to consider a separate modem and a separate router, I'll recommend the Motorola SB6120 ($85 Amazon, its $95 right now) and Linksys WRT54GL($55 Amazon).