Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#32774 by djnusz
Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:17 pm
I have American Alarm...it is a small company here in Atlanta, very good monthly rates. I am a new Ooma customer and was wondering if there is any way to check my home alarm system call out over Ooma. I currently have a land line and want to get rid of it and go with just Ooma. Is there a way to check if it works over Ooma before discontinuing my land line?

I called the people there and was told that they know it works with Vonage and Comcast, but aren't sure about Ooma. And they know if doesn't work with Magic Jack. I'm assuming since it works with Vonage and Comcast VOIP I should be fine... but wanted to double check. Thanks.

http://americanalarm.net/
#32778 by southsound
Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:28 pm
It may very possibly work - but it may require some tweaking to make sure it works reliably. You can have the alarm enter a *99 as a dialing prefix and that will change the codec used by the ooma. But even more important is how you connect up the ooma to the alarm. Any good alarm has a way of disconnecting the home phones during a report attempt. This is done by having the phone signal come from the telco network interface box directly to the alarm panel. The panel takes control of the line that goes out to the rest of the phones. In case of a report, the connection is broken. This is usually accomplished using an RJ31 jack. T and R are the connections to the telco - T1 and R1 go to the rest of the house. If you just plug the ooma into a phone jack in the house, the alarm will fail because it will disconnect the ooma whenever it wants to report. You need to connect it to the wires that WERE supplying dialtone from the telco. Easiest place is in the network interface box. What is your level of comfort with doing wiring changes to your telephone system?
#32786 by djnusz
Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:50 pm
I really have no experience with this kind of wiring... I've wired my basement for power and phone, but nothing to sophisticated. This may be beyond my scope of practice. Are there any websites that have schematics that could lead me through it?
#32792 by murphy
Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:13 pm
My alarm has a test mode. When I activate test mode it places a call to the alarm company and sends a code to indicate test mode. Nothing that I do from that point on will cause an alarm to be sent to the alarm company. When I terminate test mode it sends another signal to the alarm company to let them know the system is back in service. At that point I can call the alarm company and ask them if they got both signals.

A better test is to call the alarm company and tell them that you want your account put in test mode. You then arm your system and trip all of the sensors. Yu then reset the alarm so all of the faults are cleared. You call the alarm company and have them verify that they received all of the signals that you sent. They should have a signal for every sensor that you tripped. If they got all of the signals, the alarm is communicating successfully. The account is then taken off of test mode.

It sounds like you don't know the installers code which means you are going to need someone from the alarm company to program *99 pause into the dialing prefix. You might as well have them do the test while they are there.
#32804 by djnusz
Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:42 pm
Murphy, Thanks for the tips. I will give that a try... One question, how do I test it when I currently also have a land line?

I want to cancel my land line, but I wanted to be comfortable that the alarm could call out over Ooma before I cancel the line.
#32814 by murphy
Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:22 pm
Assuming that your panel is currently wired correctly, the incoming land line goes directly to the alarm panel. Another phone line comes out of the alarm panel and is used to feed the rest of the house. This allows the alarm panel to disconnect the rest of the house when it needs to make a call. Prevents a bad guy from taking a phone off hook to prevent the alarm from calling out.

The easiest way to do the test, assuming that you have a standard NIB (Network Interface Box) on the outside of the house, is to open the box and disconnect the phone plug that is in there. Take a standard two position phone line splitter and connect the plug that you just disconnected into one of the jacks. Take a long phone cord and connect one end to the other side of the splitter. Connect the other end of the long phone cord to the phone port of the ooma. This assumes that you did NOT integrate your land line with the ooma box, which is the best approach when your end goal is to get rid of the land line.
With this lash up in place you would test the alarm system as previously described.
#33014 by djnusz
Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:57 am
I will take another look at my NIB... From what I remember, I didn't see anything that looked like a conventional phone line/plug socket, I just saw a lot of wires coming off a panel and going into the wall. Maybe I missed it, I hope I did so I can try your test. Thanks.