Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#32191 by 3212831980
Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:05 am
I bought a Ooma hub a while ago and hoock it up to a wireles phone. At home I have a wireless network with 3 laptops conected to the internet through a Belkin wireless router plus the Ooma adapter. Then I started having this issue that whenever I try to make a phone call or the phone rang the entire network lost connectivity and the call quality was not very good. It was really frustrating. I called Ooma support, but they were not able to find a solution and instead redirected me to my internet provider (RoadRuner) claiming it was surely an internet provider's issue for there was some backgroung static in the network. I called RoadRuner, but they had no idea neither and claimed it was either o problem with the VoIP provider (Ooma) or that I should buy more bandwidth (currently I have 7.5 MB/s) This claim was really anoying for I had a VoIP phone in the past and I only had a 512 Kb/s internet connection and it worked just fine without loosing connectivity. So, I decided to call Belkin, maybe they had a better understanding of networking since they produced the router in the first place. After almost a month of frustration, it took around 1 minute for the tech support to wonder since I had a wireless VoIP phone and a wireless router if they were not interfering with eachother. So, I checked the phone and it was a 2.4 GHz and then checked the wireless router and it was a 2.4 GHz too. So, the solution to my issue was just to buy a different wireless phone. I bought a 5.8 GHz one yesterday. Now I can make phone calls without loosing connectivity and voice quality is awesome, better than my cell...
I thought I should share this in case anybody else is experiencing the same issue. If you have poor voice quality or any other issue, first check for possible interference.
#32194 by southsound
Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:22 am
Glad that things are working well for you with the new phone. One of the most common problems we have with the older phones is just what you discovered - they have the ability to knock out WiFi because they share the same frequency band. An additional aspect of this is that the 2.4ghz phone may work fine for a while - then the system changes channel and there goes the network.

You are fortunate that your 5.8ghz phone is working. Some of these use a 2.4ghz subchannel for signals between the handset and base and are as bad as the 2.4ghz phones - but they don't say that on the box. To be completely safe you are really better off with a DECT 6.0 phone from either Panasonic or Uniden. These phones come with lots of features that are not available on either 2.4ghz or 5.8ghz phones - things like the ability to use several handsets on the same call - Daughter Sally calls from college and you and your spouse both want to talk to her. With most older phones, this cannot be done. DECT 6.0 phones have this feature. Plus speakerphone, intercom, and many other features.

At any rate, welcome to ooma and to the forum!

Also, just noticed your screen name. If that is your real phone number, you might want to change the screen name to prevent spam calls. :cool: