Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#60356 by nn5i
Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:26 pm
Let me understand, if someone calls you and you are on the line they will get a busy signal?

I hope so -- that's what I requested -- but actually I have no way to test.
Last edited by nn5i on Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#60358 by DTMF
Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:32 pm
I'd like an option to disable Call Waiting, too. In 20+ years as a telephone subscriber with half a dozen providers, I had never had Call Waiting before, because I dislike abandoning a call in progress. I tolerate it with Ooma because I'm such a light user of my landline that it's rare that I get a call during another call.
#60364 by Groundhound
Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:06 pm
Just wondering, one of the advantages of voicemail over answering machines is the ability to take a message while you're on the phone. If a caller hears a busy signal, that advantage is lost - is that your preference?
#60369 by MartyxB
Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:43 pm
Groundhound wrote:Just wondering, one of the advantages of voicemail over answering machines is the ability to take a message while you're on the phone. If a caller hears a busy signal, that advantage is lost - is that your preference?

I need it for two reasons.

(A) My mother's Ooma phone:

(1) My 88 year old mother has no idea how to use call waiting, it is distracting in that the call in progress gets chopped up and it disorients her and she has no idea how to use voice mail. All she understands that when the phone rings she picks it up - that’s it!

(2) If I call my mother and the phone is busy I know that she is home, ok, and talking to someone. I will try again later. If I call and the phone rings is she (1) around but on the phone ignoring the call waiting tones or (2) she is not at home.

(B)
As for my Ooma phone.

I like to screen my phone calls so I will not pick up call waiting tones since I have no idea who is calling and again, the call waiting tones are disturbing and break up the flow of my conversation. I have an answering machine (Panasonic w/talking caller id) so I screen my calls, I pick up only if I recognize the number and want to talk to the person. If not I let the answering machine pick it up. This means I have no need for voice mail as well. If call is important then people can reach me via my cell phone.
#60388 by nn5i
Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:24 pm
Groundhound wrote:Just wondering, one of the advantages of voicemail over answering machines is the ability to take a message while you're on the phone. If a caller hears a busy signal, that advantage is lost - is that your preference?

Yes. I detest voice mail.
#60517 by loredel
Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:58 pm
Hi, I am on the same boat! I requested to have the call waiting feature deactivated and then just get the busy signal and apparently they did deactivate it but the calls were still waiting.

I contacted Ooma Support and after testing that the busy signal is not coming for the second caller while you are with another call, the girl asked somebody else and then said they do not have the busy signal available at this time but that she is going to suggest it during next week meeting and that I should also suggest this on the forum and depending on the response from other users they may approve it, so here I am!

If you are still interested on having a busy signal rather than call waiting when there is a second caller on your line, please reply to the post "Suggestion: the sweet sounds of busy signal" , that I just placed on Feature Requests. Here is the direct link to the post http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8642 Hopefully, if they see that many of us are interested, they will start to program it.

Have a good one and keep your fingers crossed for the busy signal!

Alexa
#60526 by loredel
Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:21 pm
fseaton wrote:If they're adding it to my.ooma, then it would be nice to have a list of options...

- If a call comes in while I'm on the phone, then:

[] Send me a call-waiting signal
[] Give a busy signal
[] Send directly to Voice Mail
[] Send directly to Voice Mail with alternate message
(Where the message might be "I'm on the phone right now. Please leave me a message....")

Hi, did you get help on this matter? I requested to have the call waiting feature deactivated and then just get the busy signal and apparently they did deactivate it but the calls were still waiting.

I contacted Ooma Support and after testing that the busy signal is not coming for the second caller while you are with another call, the girl asked somebody else and then said they do not have the busy signal available at this time but that she is going to suggest it during next week meeting and that I should also suggest this on the forum and depending on the response from other users they may approve it, so here I am!

If you are still interested on having a busy signal rather and include other options, like you did in your previous reply, please reply to the post "Suggestion: the sweet sounds of busy signal" , that I just placed on Feature Requests. Here is the direct link to the post http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8642 Hopefully, if they see that many of us are interested, they will start to program it.

#60527 by loredel
Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:23 pm
nn5i wrote:
Bobby B wrote:I think Ooma support can disable it (you can send them an email or give them a call) - but it's a manual process and can take a couple days to process. We're planning to expose the option in My Ooma in the future.

I don't like it either. I called Tech Support and asked about it. I was told they could turn it off, but if they did that they couldn't ever turn it on again. "Fine with me," I said, "turn it off."

To the best of my knowledge they did it in a day or so and I've never been interrupted since. I get very few incoming calls anyway, though, so it's not conclusive evidence.

Hi, did you get help on this matter? I requested to have the call waiting feature deactivated and then just get the busy signal and apparently they did deactivate it but the calls were still waiting.

If you are still interested on having a busy signal rather than call waiting when there is a second caller on your line, please reply to the post "Suggestion: the sweet sounds of busy signal" , that I just placed on Feature Requests. Here is the direct link to the post http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8642 Hopefully, if they see that many of us are interested, they will start to program it.

#60528 by highq
Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:40 pm
Loredel, I see you joined this Forum today, and you've already posted the same verbiage multiple times. That's just a way to alienate people. We can read and retain what we read, saying things once does really suffice.
#60544 by nn5i
Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:01 pm
highq wrote:Loredel, I see you joined this Forum today, and you've already posted the same verbiage multiple times. That's just a way to alienate people. We can read and retain what we read, saying things once does really suffice.

Being snotty to new users isn't particularly endearing either. You could have said it nicely instead -- many people are unfamiliar with the peculiar etiquette of forum usage, and deserve a chance to learn, and deserve to be instructed tactfully.

Loredel, it is customary to post the same text only once, allowing people to respond or not, as they wish. Welcome to the community; nice to have you here.