Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#31211 by MartyxB
Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:12 pm
I HATE call waiting. If I am on the phone I do not want to be distracted by call waiting tones. The caller should get a busy signal to let them know that "I am busy" and call me back later. If it is important and it is someone that I know, well then, they have my cell phone number and can reach me that way. If they just want to chat then the busy signal will tell them to call back later. I also have no need for voice mail since I have my own answering system with screening capability as well as talking caller id with name.

The beauty about a caller getting a busy signal is that it shows that I am at home and therefore the caller, with some diligence, will be able to speak to me by simply trying to call me a little later. I NEVER pick up a “call waiting” call while I am busy talking to someone. I consider that rude and a big distraction. All my calls that I receive is via first hearing the talking called id announcement then I either pick it up if I recognize the caller and want to talk to them, or I wait until I hear them leave a message and again, decide if I want to pick up the call or let them finish their message. This is very effective at getting rid of telemarketers since they do not tend to leave messages. This also means that I talk to people who I want to talk to and when I want to talk to them. Call Waiting means I must decide to pick up a call by simply looking at the caller id number which in most cases tells me nothing and if I pick up the call I am obligated to call them back in short order since they know that I am at home.

Is there a way that I turn off call waiting PERMANENTLY?
#31230 by hpepper
Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:06 pm
I agree with you - when I am on a call with someone and they tell me just a minute and put me on hold to get a call waiting call - I immediately hangup and usually become too busy to answer if they call right back. Not too many things get to me like that.

BUT - I don't think there is a permanent way to trn it off - only on each dialed call. (Which wouldn't include inbound calls.)

Maybe Ooma CS could turn it off. I know my past LEC turned it off permanently for me, but that was a POTS line, not VOIP.
#31232 by MartyxB
Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:26 pm
Vonage had that as an option that one can set with their online account management. When I switched to Viatalk their customer service set it up by "pointing my Voip adapter" to a special server that I guess used the algotithim that if there is no Voice Mail (which I turned off) then give a busy signal instead of call waiting. Since when they initially turned it off it wanted to go straight to voice mail and gave some sort of a generic message that implied that the number was not in service. By pointing me to some special server, in Chicago if I recall, the system behaved as I wanted.

I really would like to have this feature since my wife and I were annoyed already a few times tonight with the annoying call waiting tones (which we ignored).
#31241 by Bobby B
Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:59 pm
I think Ooma support can disable it (you can send them an email or give them a call) - but it's a manual process and can take a couple days to process. We're planning to expose the option in My Ooma in the future.
#31243 by MartyxB
Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:06 pm
Bobby B wrote:I think Ooma support can disable it (you can send them an email or give them a call) - but it's a manual process and can take a couple days to process. We're planning to expose the option in My Ooma in the future.

:D
#31297 by TechNoid665
Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:19 am
I too am against call waiting.

X 2 on it being rude and distracting.
#31309 by fseaton
Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:01 am
If they're adding it to my.ooma, then it would be nice to have a list of options...

- If a call comes in while I'm on the phone, then:

[] Send me a call-waiting signal
[] Give a busy signal
[] Send directly to Voice Mail
[] Send directly to Voice Mail with alternate message
(Where the message might be "I'm on the phone right now. Please leave me a message....")
#31312 by MartyxB
Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:49 am
fseaton wrote:If they're adding it to my.ooma, then it would be nice to have a list of options...

[] Give a busy signal
(Where the message might be "I'm on the phone right now. Please leave me a message....")

As long as we are talking about a "Wish List" I would like either an option to enable voice mail or an entry in the "Voicemail pick-up time" picklist of "Never". This way your choice #4 would give the alternate Voice Mail message, which in my case would be "I'm on the phone now, please call back later" then either hang up line or give a busy signal since the system would see that voice mail is disabled or that the "never" pick up time was chosen. This is icing on the cake since I would be completely content with a simple busy signal.
#31334 by southsound
Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:27 am
MartyxB wrote:
fseaton wrote:If they're adding it to my.ooma, then it would be nice to have a list of options...

[] Give a busy signal

As long as we are talking about a "Wish List" I would like either an option to enable voice mail or an entry in the "Voicemail pick-up time" picklist of "Never". This way your choice #4 would give the alternate Voice Mail message, which in my case would be "I'm on the phone now, please call back later" then either hang up line or give a busy signal since the system would see that voice mail is disabled or that the "never" pick up time was chosen. This is icing on the cake since I would be completely content with a simple busy signal.

Great idea! Maybe something that could even be part of an "enhanced services, but not quite Premier" package that might go for a lower price than full Premier.
#31465 by TechNoid665
Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:20 am
Bobby B wrote:I think Ooma support can disable it (you can send them an email or give them a call) - but it's a manual process and can take a couple days to process. We're planning to expose the option in My Ooma in the future.

Do you have an ETA on when this may be put into My Ooma? I need to make a decision as whether I should have Ooma customer support disable my call waiting, or if I should wait until that option is put into My Ooma.

Thank you very much.