Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#31490 by egutin
Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:39 am
I used the email form from "contact us" on the Ooma website to ask about this issue two days ago. I have yet to recieve a response.
#31509 by ajw522
Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:14 pm
egutin wrote:I used the email form from "contact us" on the Ooma website to ask about this issue two days ago. I have yet to recieve a response.

Email doesn't work well with ooma. Call them.
#31950 by egutin
Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:07 pm
I have "Mel" - he has put me on hold to see if there is a record of last week's call.

Ooma tech support, please note - when I call Apple support, they have a record of calls I have made going back 3 laptops now, whether or not a given issue was assigned a number. As soon as I give my number, a record of previous calls should be on the screen of the tech support person.

to be continued...
#31959 by egutin
Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:26 pm
"Mel" was able to speak with "John", who gave him details of the last call.

Difference this time - Ooma is not completely frozen. Here is what is happening:

Play - pulsing red
1 - blinking red
2 - solid red
Everything else - blue
NO DIAL TONE

Mel is trying to tell me that there is a firewall turned on in the cable modem. He will not tell me how he knows this, it turns out it is an assumption. The real issue is that, once he has communicated with my Telo, it will not connect to Ooma's VPN network.

After going back and forth, Mel changes his mind when I inform him that the phone was having no issues earlier in the day.

On hold again. I have to say, I am once again frustrated with the immediate blaming of another service, even if it turns out to be true.

Update - the agent has me running voip speed tests.
#32010 by egutin
Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:49 pm
Unfortunately, the call lasted too long and I had to run out of the house before a solution could be found. Everything was green on the VOIP speed tests, and the tech support agent was about to put me on hold for another two minutes while he checked something out.

Before I restart the Ooma (and lose my network for the time it will take to start up) some more observations:

1 - I find it condescending when someone who is clearly not from an English speaking society gives me a throwaway first name. If my tech support is going to come from overseas, I would like to know the real name of the person I am speaking with.
2 - I do not think tech support is very well trained. Yes, they are able to run diagnostics from where they sit, but they do not strike me as Ooma "geeks."
3 - If I know how to set up my own home network, and know what a router is, you can give me clear explanations of what you are doing at each step of the process and why. Getting a straight answer from tech support has been like pulling teeth. An entire 5 minutes of the discussion would have been avoided if he had asked me if my cable modem has a firewall up (no). Instead, I was told to restart the cable modem. I asked why - I was told that the Telo was having trouble to connect to Ooma's VPN (what if I did not know what that means). I asked what the cable modem has to do with it. I was told there could be a firewall. It was not until tech support was informed that the phone was working fine earlier in the day, and that there was no reset of the cable modem at any point in the day, that restarting the cable modem was taken off the table.

I will now restart the Telo, and hope that tech support is still willing to help me troubleshoot tomorrow night.

At what point do I just return the Telo and give up?
#32051 by Groundhound
Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:37 pm
Sorry if I missed this on one of your previous posts, but in setup.ooma.com on the Status page, does it show "Ooma Tunnel: Connected"? If so then it sounds like communication with Ooma's servers is not the issue, and you probably have a defective unit that needs to be returned.
#32054 by dsegel
Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:46 pm
egutin wrote:
It's quite possible that you just have a defective unit, and a replacement may be fine.

I am feeling the same way - however, until the problem happens again, and if it happens again someone in the house is available to call customer service so that troubleshooting can happen while it is down (assuming a decent cell signal that afternoon/evening), it does not seem like Ooma will come through with a replacement unit.

So return it to Amazon. I think both Amazon and Ooma offer a 30-day return period. If you have a Best Buy nearby you could probably pick up a replacement unit there.
#32253 by egutin
Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:55 pm
After yesterday's experience I decided to look for other ways to contact Ooma, hoping that there are other channels that I could reach about my problems.

I first wrote an admittedly obnoxious tweet, using #ooma and #fail as hashtags. Looking up the #ooma hashtag, I found very few tweets - but two of them were from Ooma execs, including one who regularly encouraged those who were having problems to email her - Ms. Tami Bhaumik, a VP of Marketing.

I went ahead and emailed Ms. Bhaumik, including a link to these forum posts. She took care of things very quickly, as I received a call from tech support, who is Tier 3. It is very clear from his voice-mail that he took the time to review these forum postings and the notes form my tech support calls.

We are in a bit of phone tag mode, but I will update when something happens.

A public thanks to Ms. Bhaumik for responding to my email so quickly.
#32258 by egutin
Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:03 pm
Thank you again to forum members for your suggestions. Responses to the two most recent below:

Groundhound - I did not get a chance to check on the tunnel status before restarting the unit last night, but right now it is connected. If it goes down before I have spoken with tech support, I will check again.

dsegel - The main reason I do not just return this Telo and get another is that it is not yet clear whether the problem is the unit or my internet connection. If it is the latter, I would prefer to know before returning this Telo and buying another one only to have the same thing happen again.

That having been said, my suspicion is the former given the uniqueness of the way the unit has been crashing. I am hoping that tech support has some way of knowing/testing whether or not the unit is defective.

Thank you again.