Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#30146 by WayneDsr
Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:45 pm
Last night after midnight I noticed both my ooma hub and my Telo going offline. I thought it was my network going down and checked. Network seemed to be up.

Just a while ago, about 4:40pm Eastern once again both my ooma hub and Telo went offline at the same time for about 2 minutes. This time I was on the network and working on the web, with no interuption, so network was up.

I was wondering if Ooma was working on their network.

Anyone else experience this?

Wayne
#30148 by Groundhound
Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:48 pm
I too noticed the same thing last night, but don't recall the exact time. It looked like it was rebooting but I did not loose Internet connectivity (Telo in front of router).
#30221 by allo
Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:37 pm
Did OOMA acknowledge this outage anywhere? I thought I remember reading that in the event of such a thing, they would keep us posted, through email? After the outage of last year?
I wonder if they are not swamped with an overwhelming number of new comers!
That sometimes can spell problems / trouble, if they are not well equipped to handle it!

NB. Just wondering if anybody has any idea or know what OOMA infrastructure consist of? and if there are safeguards?
#30224 by WayneDsr
Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:47 pm
It wasn't quite an outage. It lasted no more than 5 minutes and happened twice in the last day. There's been very few people responding to this post so it couldn't have been nation wide. Almost the length of time an update would have taken, although there was no update. I'm really just curious as to what might have made that happen since I did have a good network connection both times. Hopefully it was just a glitch in my area.

Wayne
#35432 by chrisbowden
Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:43 pm
I've had my Ooma Telo now for about 3-4 weeks and just got my home telephone number ported. Prior to the porting, I had a cordless phone hooked directly in to the unit and had no problems whatsoever. When the number port was successful, I hooked the phone line to the wall to enable all of the phones in the house to ring as I have done with my prior VOIP service. Seemed to work fine for a few minutes, then the device rebooted. Called the line again to see if everything was back up and running... rebooted again. Called a third time and it seems to be fine. I wonder if my issue stems from the same issue that you guys are having where it's going offline - possibly for a reboot due to firmware upgrade???

Any further issues on your end or has the issue resolved itself? Hoping that I have nothing to worry about here considering that I just ported my number over. I don't believe my issue is with the setup, but who knows.

I also agree with many of the posts that I've read that tech support has been less than stellar on answering questions. However, it hasn't been bad enough in my case to drop the service as I've seen others allude to in the forums.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Chris
#35443 by Groundhound
Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:07 pm
chrisbowden wrote:I've had my Ooma Telo now for about 3-4 weeks and just got my home telephone number ported. Prior to the porting, I had a cordless phone hooked directly in to the unit and had no problems whatsoever. When the number port was successful, I hooked the phone line to the wall to enable all of the phones in the house to ring as I have done with my prior VOIP service. Seemed to work fine for a few minutes, then the device rebooted. Called the line again to see if everything was back up and running... rebooted again. Called a third time and it seems to be fine. I wonder if my issue stems from the same issue that you guys are having where it's going offline - possibly for a reboot due to firmware upgrade???

Any further issues on your end or has the issue resolved itself? Hoping that I have nothing to worry about here considering that I just ported my number over. I don't believe my issue is with the setup, but who knows.

I also agree with many of the posts that I've read that tech support has been less than stellar on answering questions. However, it hasn't been bad enough in my case to drop the service as I've seen others allude to in the forums.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Without knowing much about your setup, it's hard to say why you are having the frequent reboots. If it continues to occur I would first reconnect your phone directly to your Ooma without the house wiring and see if the problem persists. Knowing that will be a start to diagnosing the cause.
#35472 by murphy
Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:15 am
Did you disconnect the telephone company feed to your house? If not, do it now.
Do you have DSL?
#35693 by chrisbowden
Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:48 am
The telephone feed coming into the house has been disconnected from day one. We bought the house new and I made sure that the terminals were not connected to the phone company at that time since we have had Vonage as our phone service for several years till now. So I do know that is not the issue.

It appears that the rebooting has stopped now and everything seems to be working fine, with a few hiccups here and there. When I called the line from my cell yesterday, there was no ring at all. Just silence until my wife picked up the line. Doesn't seem to happen all the time though.

Seems to just be some minor quirks at this point. Nothing that I personally can't deal with. I updated my QOS settings on the device and that may have helped out some. We're on Comcast Cable Modem here and I get a very fast connection both ways, but I ran the quality of service test that was recommended on another post elsewhere and the results varied from test to test. Everything is pretty much excellent except for the final test where it states that my "quality of service" is around 83%. It's been higher and lower on multiple tests, so I'm not sure if that could be causing any issues with the device rebooting or not. I would think it would just affect the call quality/reliability but not cause the device to reboot.

Anyway, I can say that I am very impressed overall with the call quality compared to Vonage. It does sound more like a true land line to me. Hopefully the minor "bugs" will work themselves out as Ooma continues to push firmware updates and whatnot. I'll keep you guys posted on anything else that pops up, but for now, the device is working fine.

We'll wait and see! Thanks for the help
#35695 by Groundhound
Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:42 am
Since you have configured Ooma's QoS I'll assume you are connecting directly to your modem. One thing I'd recommend is to go into http://setup.ooma.com and then to the Network page. Change the "MODEM Port MAC Address" setting to "Use Built in" and click update. You will probably need to reboot your modem so that it will accept the new MAC address, but afterwords that will remove one possible variable between your modem and your Ooma device.