Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#27180 by ophirp
Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:38 am
I notice that if someone is using Google Voice to call my OOMA number, it goes directly to voicemail, even if I have "Forward all" rule to forward to different number. Did anyone else have this problem? Any idea how to disable the OOMA voicemail (without upgrade to Telo plan ;) ) ?
#27416 by Lola
Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:47 pm
You cant disable voicemail, but you can set the number of rings before voicemail picks up at my.ooma.com to something high. Under Preferences->VoiceMail you can select up to 59 seconds.

I dont know why its going to VM, but the only thing I can think of is maybe you have blocked that number somehow. You might want to check under Settings->Calls-> to make sure you have not enabled do not disturb and to display the callers calledID instead of your own. Other than that, not really sure.
#27422 by WayneDsr
Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:05 pm
How is one using their Google Voice number to call out? I mean, are they dialing from the Google Voice page on the net?
If not, then their dialing from a phone which is not Google Voice.

Wayne
#27436 by ophirp
Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:34 pm
Lola wrote:dont know why its going to VM, but the only thing I can think of is maybe you have blocked that number somehow. You might want to check under Settings->Calls-> to make sure you have not enabled do not disturb and to display the callers calledID instead of your own. Other than that, not really sure.

Thanks, Lola. But this does not seems to be the problem, as I do get calls fwd from other phones, and this phone is not blocked.
WayneDsr wrote:How is one using their Google Voice number to call out? I mean, are they dialing from the Google Voice page on the net?

Wayne

GV allow you to initiate a call by calling your GV number and dial-out to other number, which I believe is the same as initiate the call from the web.
#27437 by Lola
Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:49 pm
ophirp wrote:
WayneDsr wrote:How is one using their Google Voice number to call out? I mean, are they dialing from the Google Voice page on the net?

Wayne

GV allow you to initiate a call by calling your GV number and dial-out to other number, which I believe is the same as initiate the call from the web.

I used to do this all the time before I got ooma in order to call long distance for free. You can also program your phones phonebook (if you have a newer phone that allows you to program phones in) to dial <google voice number> + pause + 2 + pause + <number to call> and it would be the same as calling your google voice number and pressing 2 to call out through google voice. This way you dont have to enter everything everytime you call, and you dont have to open your computer. I still do this for international numbers since google voice rates are better.
#27455 by WayneDsr
Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:14 am
Does this person block his caller ID?
I'm wondering if you might have Anonymous Call Block on and his caller id says Anonymous or blocked.

Wayne
#27496 by ophirp
Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:48 am
WayneDsr wrote:Does this person block his caller ID?
I'm wondering if you might have Anonymous Call Block on and his caller id says Anonymous or blocked.

Wayne

Nope. It is myself ...
Scenario very simple:

1. Setup "fwd all" rule in OOMA to numberA
2. Call OOMA from regular phone and confirm numberA is ringing.
3. Call OOMA via GV - and it goes directly to voicemail (even if VM set to wait 59 seconds) ...
#27523 by WayneDsr
Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:17 am
I just tried it myself. Called using Google Voice on the web from my cell phone to call my ooma number. All worked fine.
Not sure what the issue is, but I would jot down the times and numbers and call Customer Service.

Wayne
#27589 by In Box
Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:47 pm
I've got a similar problem described here:
http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3773

My setup may be simpler. GV -> Ooma only.

Calling Ooma number seems to work normally (for now, though haven't totally eliminated as cause). Calling GV number rings the Ooma phone line, but when picked up, the caller continues to hear ringing (4-5) and then goes to voicemail. Meanwhile, when I pick up the line after 1 or 2 rings, I just get a Ooma dial tone and can actually call out.

What works as expected is that the Ooma phone rings! Instead of answering, though, it behaves as if there is no call coming in and the off hook means I want to make a new call. It's kind of like 2 one way streets versus one two way street, if you know what I mean.

BTW, it's been going on for at least 1 or 2 weeks for me. Might have always happened for all I know, but it's only become noticeable frequently enough now that I'm using a bit more and noticing it more.

It seems to me the problem lies in the signal that's telling the Ooma box that a call is coming in. It's getting thru for me (phone rings), but when I answer the phone it's not looking or seeing that state, or something changes the state incorrectly. It wasn't clear to me whether GV or Ooma is to blame, but more and more it's looking like Ooma isn't doing something it should, and is partially or wholly responsible. Something in GV could additionally be playing a role.
#27626 by allo
Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:13 pm
May be this is not too relevant in this topic, but I thought you should know that you can make Free Long Distance calls, using GV and any phone in your calling area, not necessarily OOma or a cell phone (specially if you are watching the minutes!)

Here Goes:

From any phone in your local area code : Dial your GV number
When you hear GV greetings: Press * (star key)
GV will ask for PIN number : Enter PIN
GV will ask to make a choice from menu : Press 2
GV will ask to Dial the # you want : Dial any phone number using area code and press # (pound key )

Phone dialed can be anywhere in the US or Canada: FREE

International calls require a prepaid account with Google.