Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#25565 by geekspeedracer
Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:07 am
Got my Ooma Telo and I wanted to port my current number, which is currently Packet8.

When I checked my number's area code and prefix via http://www3.ooma.com/phone_numbers.php I get:

"Ooma Phone Number Availability:
We're sorry, but we currently don't have phone numbers available in your calling exchange, though we may have some available soon. To verify future availability, please call a member of our customer support team at 1-888-711-6662.
Number Porting Availability:
It looks like we can port your phone number to Ooma! If you're already an Ooma customer, you can start the porting process by visiting the My Ooma add-ons page.
Number Porting Availability:
We may not be able to port your phone number to ooma. To confirm, please contact customer support via phone or email by visiting the support page. "

However, when I check the area code and prefix for the towns 5 miles East and West of me, while Ooma phone numbers are not available, porting those numbers IS available (green checkmark).

So Ooma can port numbers from this general area, a few miles East and West of where I live, despite not having numbers available for this area, but Ooma can't port MY area code + prefix number?

Note, my current Packet8 number used to be my landline number, so at least Packet8 figured out how to port my area code and prefix from Verizon to VOIP.

This is VOIP to VOIP. Shouldn't it be even easier?

BTW, I contacted the customer support folks, and they're not helpful AT ALL. They read the same thing I got from the web page (see above), verbatim, over the phone. Speed-read it, too--didn't even CARE. I asked if there's a way to escalate or be put on a waiting list or be notified when porting would be possible and I was told, get this, "Just check the website every couple of days." AWEsome. I haven't felt that loved since 2006, when Comcast told me to keep checking their website for when my cable box will receive an upgrade to TiVo--still waiting for THAT to happen, too.

:x
Last edited by geekspeedracer on Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
#25566 by WayneDsr
Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:29 am
It looks like we can port your phone number to Ooma! If you're already an Ooma customer, you can start the porting process by visiting the My Ooma add-ons page.

I must not be getting what you're saying. According to this statement, ooma CAN port your number.

Straighten me out here.

Wayne
#25567 by geekspeedracer
Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:49 am
I first pasted the wrong text for the prefix of the town next to me, not the response for MY area code + prefix. Corrected above.

Ooma states for MY area code + prefix: "Number Porting Availability:
We may not be able to port your phone number to ooma. To confirm, please contact customer support via phone or email by visiting the support page."
#25570 by WayneDsr
Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:56 am
Ok, gotchya! Hopefully one of the moderators will chime in here and help you out. Or even another person in this forum with more experience that I.
I"m not familier with porting but it's the one subject that always seems to generate negative posts. I guess that's why I've never attempted it.

However, you're here and I hope all works out for you. Welcome to the forums!

Wayne
#25572 by Leeway
Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:04 pm
Personally, I would wait several hours or until tomorrow and go back in and try it. I have found by my own error that just getting out and waiting for time to pass straightens things out.

In my case when I 'almost' picked a temporary number before porting. I selected it but did not ok it. Then, I decided to see what other numbers I might take. That was a huge mistake. :o I hit the backup arrow and wow - I goofed up the works and it told me I had no numbers to choose from and to call support.

Instead I just got out and went back several hours later and all was back in order.

Ooma doesn't like indecision or changes at the time of selection. :idea:
#25594 by geekspeedracer
Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:54 pm
niknak wrote:if ooma cannot port a number or provide a number in a particular rate center, the problem is most likely due to contractual problems with the CLECs in that area

Yup, I would totally understand and accept that answer from Ooma, if I didn't already have my area code + prefix ported to Packet8 right now.

If Packet8 did it, i.e. got the number out of Verizon's hands, then the "work" is already done.

Ooma should just grab it from Packet8, no?
#25596 by murphy
Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:01 pm
geekspeedracer wrote:If Packet8 did it, i.e. got the number out of Verizon's hands, then the "work" is already done.

Ooma should just grab it from Packet8, no?

No, it doesn't work that way. If Verizon originally issued the number, they own it forever.
Packet 8 releases it back to Verizon and then Ooma picks it up from Verizon.
#25598 by niknak
Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:05 pm
...No, it doesn't work that way. If Verizon originally issued the number, they own it forever.
Packet 8 releases it back to Verizon and then Ooma picks it up from Verizon

Murphy is right, the ILEC /RBOC always owns the number , Packet8 or other CLECs only have use of the number