Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#24986 by JaffLin@comcast.net
Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:26 am
I have installed OOMA at home. As far as phone calls are concerned, it works perfectly. However, I just encountered one problem today. After I discontinue the phone service, my alarm system beeps me once an hour because the alarm system checks the phone line connections once an hour and sensed that there are no phone line connections. How do I connect the OOMA hub or scout to the alarm system? Please advise. Thanks
#24987 by Aveamantium
Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:31 am
First you'll need to connect it to the Hub's PHONE port (don't connect through the scout), you can use the included splitter to do this. If it still can't connect try having your alarm dial a *99 prefix.

By the way welcome to Ooma!
#24988 by southsound
Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:35 am
The alarm system is checking for line voltage on the cable that goes from your telco network interface box to the RJ31X that is connected to the alarm. Your alarm system is normally wired to disconnect your house phones when it wants to report an alarm. The way to take care of this is to provide the ooma dialtone at the same point as the telco did. Go to your network interface box outside the house and observe the connections inside. If it is a fairly modern house, there is probably a white/blue pair of wires that will be obvious and they will be connected to the first two screws. Those screws may be identified with a red/green tag. This is where the ooma needs to supply dialtone. Make sure that the little plug, either on a short cable or hinge, is disconnected so you don't backfeed to the telco's wiring. You can either use a new cable to supply the dialtone from the ooma (through the "phone" port on either the hub or the Telo) or you can use another unused pair, like the white/orange. If you use an unused pair you need to change the wiring at your ooma's jack to use that pair of wires. This may sound like greek if you are not familiar with phone wiring, but will make sense if you are. Feel free to reply for further clarification if you need. You also should have the alarm company add a *99 pause to the panel's dialing sequence and make sure the panel is dialing out using DTMF (touchtones) instead of pulse. :cool:
#24989 by southsound
Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:37 am
Almost forgot - if you are using DSL your modem is connected to that first pair and there will be some additional things to do. Let us know.
#24995 by southsound
Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:31 pm
This website is an excellent resource. http://mi-telecom.org/distribute.html If you will scroll down towards the bottom you wil find a section titled, "Some alarming exceptions" that gives great advice and has diagrams of what we've been discussing. :cool: