Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#20970 by Curious
Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:27 am
I've been a very satisfied ooma premier customer for nearly a year now. I love the instant second line feature, but I've never had a need to add that second phone number. So I was wondering, if I got that second number, and I want to place a call from either number specifically, how do I choose? For your reference, all of my devices are shared.
#20973 by thbjr
Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:43 am
Someone will come along and correct this, but you can determin which line/called ID goes out by dialing something like **1 and then the number for the 2nd line and if you have more lines, **2 or **3 etc. I remember reading a good post on it, but I can't find it.
Sorry I'm not of more help.
Welcome to Ooma!!!
#20975 by Curious
Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:13 am
Thanks for your input thbjr. I followed up on what you said and found this under:

Lounge > Preferences > Phone Numbers > "click on your phone number"
If you have multiple phone numbers and wish to display a different phone number than your default number, press "**" followed by the number assigned to the phone number you wish to display. For example, if you have three ooma phone numbers and you wish to display the third, you would dial **3 followed by the number you are calling. This will cause the number to be displayed even if you've set your privacy setting to block outbound caller-ID. To find out the numbers assigned to each of your ooma phone numbers, visit the Preferences/Phone Numbers page.

Which indicates that all outbound calls are made over the same "line," and only the caller ID is different at the recipients end. Since this is the case, can someone with multiple phone numbers tell me if you can change/select which of your phone numbers is the default? (and, if so, can this be done from the lounge?)
#21001 by Groundhound
Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:37 am
The default outbound CallerID for the hub is the first number (primary) on your account. You can have the second number be the default if you assign it to a scout in the lounge, but remember that an assigned scout will only "ring" that number assigned to it - although you can still answer the first number by pressing the flashing line button on the scout. By default, any unassigned Ooma device can call out on the second line by preceding the dialed number with **1, while a scout assigned to the second number can still place calls on the first number's CallerID by preceding the dialed number with **0.
#21012 by Curious
Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:32 pm
Groundhound, thanks for your reply. However, I would like to permanently swap my primary number with my second number. I'm porting my number before I move so that I can bring it with me, however, I won't be using it to make calls from my new location, I'll just need it to receive calls/messages.

If I cannot make such a permanent swap, can I assign the second number to BOTH the hub and scout, letting the primary number's calls go straight to voicemail?