Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#20893 by lismith
Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:21 pm
I've had ooma a couple of weeks, and have it set up like this:
Motorola Surfboard cable modem --> ooma --> Linksys router

There have been several times it has mysteriously lost internet connection. It's strange, because the cable modem lights show it's online and the 'activity' light shows that something is communicating with the modem. The ooma light blinks red, and of course the router and all computers have no internet connection.

The solution is to unplug the ooma and cable modem for about 30 seconds. The modem must be booted up and 'online' before the ooma is plugged back in, otherwise the modem never gets to the point of being online.

What could be causing this? It happens about every 2 or 3 days.
Last edited by lismith on Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#20895 by murphy
Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:02 pm
Connect to the ooma setup page ( http://setup.ooma.com ) and change the Modem port MAC address to Use Built in: and then power cycle the modem and the ooma one more time.
#30855 by Mac007
Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:07 pm
I too am having the problem where my internet connection is lost several times a day. When I try to access that setup page web address it fails repeatedly to open page (I have a Telo unit by the way). I am wondering what to do as this is very frustrating.
#30858 by Groundhound
Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:15 pm
Mac007 wrote:I too am having the problem where my internet connection is lost several times a day. When I try to access that setup page web address it fails repeatedly to open page (I have a Telo unit by the way). I am wondering what to do as this is very frustrating.

How is your Telo connected? If you have your computer connected to the Telo's Home Network Port you should be able to access http://setup.ooma.com.
#30863 by Mac007
Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:16 am
...I connect through an airport router which isn't possible if I connect it up to the Ooma. If I can't use my router which wirelessly connects my other 2 computers to the internet I'm afraid I'll have to do without the Ooma or go out and buy another computer just for the Ooma to work which is getting expensive. Somedays I think we need to go back to the old ways and forget all this stupid technology.
#30871 by Groundhound
Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:42 am
Mac007 wrote:...I connect through an airport router which isn't possible if I connect it up to the Ooma. If I can't use my router which wirelessly connects my other 2 computers to the internet I'm afraid I'll have to do without the Ooma or go out and buy another computer just for the Ooma to work which is getting expensive. Somedays I think we need to go back to the old ways and forget all this stupid technology.

OK, so if I understand you correctly your Telo is behind your router. Temporarily connect a computer to the Home Network port with a Ethernet cable and reboot the computer. You will then be able to access http://setup.ooma.com. Once you can get into setup we can show you how to configure it so you don't have to connect to the Home Network port to access setup.
#33590 by Groundhound
Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:43 pm
Mac007 wrote:I did what you suggested and I was able to connect to the setup page. Now what do I do?

First make the change that murphy described above.
OK, now go to the "Advanced" page and copy the Home Port IP address to the DMZ address on the same page, then click "Update". Now go to the "Status" page and note the Modem IP address, which has been assigned to the Ooma by your router. Now you can reconnect your computer to your router as you normally would and access Ooma's setup by using that Modem IP address that your router assigns to Ooma in your browser. You should configure your router to always assign this IP to Ooma (make it static).