Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#20498 by etremps
Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:25 pm
I’ve had my ooma for over a month and I love the service. However, I’m hoping to expand my ooma experience even more.
Is it possible to enable the ooma dial tone to all the phone jacks in the house? I dumped my landline and currently have ooma only.
I have a AT&T DSL dry loop and my set up is DSL modem -> ooma ->router
I have a home network panel (pictured below) and I was wondering if there was an easy way to hook up my set up to the network panel.
For those who are familiar with this set up, I suspect that if I am able to connect my DSL modem and ooma between the “line in” (form the street) and the line that feeds all the jacks in my house, I would have enabled my ooma dial tone in all the jacks? If so, how can you tell which one of the wires feeds the line (DSL in this case) in all the jacks of the house (picture below)?
Thank you,
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (91.9 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
#20506 by murphy
Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:57 pm
Do you have a punch down tool?
All of the cables are the same color so I can only guess.

The bottom connector is unused so I'm thinking it comes in at the top left.
The blue wires should be line 1. Moving left to right the wire pairs should be lines 2, 3, 4.

If you have a punch down tool disconnect the upper left wire. If it's the incoming feed, all of the phone jacks in the house will be dead. If not, punch it back in place and move down one to the same color wire and try again. Repeat until you find it.

All of those cables should be labeled as to what room they go to.
#20516 by hpepper
Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:29 pm
It really depnds how the jacks are wired. If they are wired as the patch panel shown, they would be 568B which would work. If they are USOC, which is a typical telecom wiring, the green pair would be lne 2.

How are the jacks wired?
#20531 by etremps
Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:29 pm
Thank you both. I don't have a punch down tool but I'll get one and follow your advise. Unfortunately nothing is numbered so will adopt that approach.

hpepper, I opened up one of the jacks and only saw a pair of blue and white and another pair of orange and white. No green. Is this what you are referring to?
#20532 by niknak
Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:38 pm
sounds like the phone jacks were wired blue/blue white and orange/orange white for 2 voice lines per jack

the green and brown pairs are probably twisted back on the cable in the wall