Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#20465 by HalF
Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:36 am
Credit Card Machines
Can Anyone tell me if they have been successful in using a credit card machine on OOMA?
#20493 by niknak
Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:15 pm
Using a credit card machine would indicate you are in business, and it is a violatiion of the terms of service to use ooma for other than residential phone service
#20499 by HalF
Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:28 pm
So One can't have a home based business and use a credit card machine? I don't think so!
#20511 by southsound
Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:04 pm
It should work but you will have much better results if you connect to the hub rather than to the scout. If you have an option to change dialing prefixes, place *99PP where P is the character for pause. Also, in the ooma Lounge, make sure the "connection tone" is disabled. Then, try a small transaction using your own credit card. After discovering how well it works, please report back here for all of us to know.

And welcome to ooma!
#20519 by niknak
Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:42 pm
HalF wrote:So One can't have a home based business and use a credit card machine? I don't think so!

nothing wrong with having a small home business, many others here do so. It's just that ooma was designed for residential use so you should not expect it to function or have all the features of a business device
#20613 by HalF
Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:55 am
It WORKS! BUT I ---MUST-- dial *99 for it to work - no way to program my CC terminal SO the work around suggested with a phone in parallel with it DOES - I just dial *99 imediatly before I press the enter button (or the last number on the CC machine and it goes through -- However if I wait more than 3 seconds after the *99 is dialed - the line times out to overflow -- (a technical term -- fast busy) A bit of a pain but with the right timing it works -- To bad I can't get something like a phone system to predial the *99 when the line is picked up with the CC machine -- I beleive that would work too ---
#20625 by southsound
Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:06 am
Great news! I'm sure that there are many like yourself who need the option to use a cc machine so your experience helps.