Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#19923 by murphy
Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:07 pm
Groundhound wrote:OK, sorry to go OT here, but I may shop for a security system in the near future and aside from being VoIP friendly, I was wondering about how they deal with criminals who might be thinking about disarming a security system. What's to prevent the criminal from just visiting the spot on your house where the cable and phone lines come in with a pair of insulated snips before breaking in? If he's thinking enough ahead to take the phone off hook wouldn't he also think about just cutting the wires? Is some sort of radio or cell communication common with these units today?

Which is why my POTs line comes into the house underground. There is no evidence outside where the phone line is located.

Yes backup, or primary, cell units are available. Radio is not very common anymore.
#19924 by Groundhound
Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:14 pm
murphy wrote:Which is why my POTs line comes into the house underground. There is no evidence outside where the phone line is located.

Yes backup, or primary, cell units are available. Radio is not very common anymore.

Good idea on the underground entry. I think if I buy one I'll re-route my cable underground and leave a dummy coax wire above ground. Not a problem with my POTs wire as it's already a dummy wire. ;)
#20159 by scottlindner
Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:23 am
I just had a thought over the weekend that might be a resolution to at least my situation. I currently use two lines, but I don't care about the second line number, I just care that we can make two outgoing calls at the same time. So I never assigned numbers to devices. One of the reasons I'm a bit stuck is that if I hook up our phone to Line 1 but the Hun on line 1 is in the network rack, and the Scout next to the phone is on Line 2, if I want to bridge calls together or switch lines, it doesn't work because the phone isn't connected to the Scout. The Scout is fine in this situation for checking voicemail only.

If I assign a number to each device then I could keep the Hub in the network rack on Line 1, and the Scout can exist for Line 2 by the phone base. I am assuming that when I assign numbers to devices that the line buttons on the Hub and Scout work completely different and rather indicating logical lines, they represent physical lines, right? That might be the solution to my problem. Can someone verify that's how this would work if I assign numbers?

If this didn't make sense let me know and I'll elaborate more. I tried to be brief.

Scott
#20162 by murphy
Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:54 am
The line buttons are physical lines only. They are not related to the phone numbers. The first call that is placed, either from the hub or the scout, will use line 1. The second simultaneous call will use line 2. If you assign a number to the scout, it will only ring on the scout and calls made from the scout will use the caller ID for the assigned number. If the call from the scout is made when no calls are active, it will use physical line 1.
#20164 by OomaZooma
Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:04 am
I just dropped my landline and now use Ooma on my DSL connection. I switched my security system to a cellular network (w/battery backup) which costs $210.00 (parts/labor) to installl the cellular transmitter and $10.00 more per month to monitor but it will allow an intrusion alarm to call out to the monitoring center even if the phone line is cut outside of my home. My total cost of monitoring with cellular option is $22.95. I didn't want to take a chance using Ooma for burglar alarm monitoring due to the technical issues.

Gary
#20275 by hpepper
Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:52 am
OomaZooma wrote: I didn't want to take a chance using Ooma for burglar alarm monitoring due to the technical issues.

Gary

I agree the risk is higher due to possible technical issues - actually, anyone with a burglar alarm system that uses a land line is at risk as well. (although not as much risk.) Landlines can be cut fairly easily. Cellular negates that problem.
#20281 by murphy
Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:34 am
hpepper wrote:I agree the risk is higher due to possible technical issues - actually, anyone with a burglar alarm system that uses a land line is at risk as well. (although not as much risk.) Landlines can be cut fairly easily. Cellular negates that problem.

Not all land lines. Mine is underground all of the way into the house. There is no indication outside that a land line even exists. The Comcast coax is easily cut however so it is not even an option for security.
#20298 by OomaZooma
Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:43 am
scottlindner wrote:Good suggestion Gary. What is the monitoring company that provides that?

I am using AMSA and I have been a customer with them since the 1996. AMSA is located in the Atlanta, Ga. area and their monitoring center is UL Certified. They provide excellent service with alarm installs and their monitoring service provides fast call back times on alarms. The price of their monthly residential monitoring service is $12.95 and that was the same price I paid when since I started using them back in 1996. They never had a price increase after all these years. Cellular is $10.00 more per month for monitoring. AMSA has an A+ rating on the Atlanta BBB web site.

I also would like to add that if you choose the cellular method for monitoring, be careful what kind of cellular transmitter you have installed. I was told by the installer that older and cheaper cellular transmitters only send a general alarm alert (no zones) to the monitoring center. The newer transmitters send the actual zone(s) alerting to the monitoring center for a more detail alarm report.

http://www.only1295.com/

Gary
#20300 by ggilman
Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:00 am
murphy wrote:
scottlindner wrote:What is the monthly cost for that basic line? I had a basic line with QWest and it cost me $42/mo. A second Hub will be much cheaper in a hurry at that rate.

This is the price list that really annoys me.

Dial Tone Line.............................$7.87

Taxes, fees, etc
Federal Excise Tax......................... .43
PA Gross Receipts Tax Surcharge...... .35
PA Relay Surcharge........................ .08
E911.......................................... 1.00
Federal Subscriber Line Charge........ 5.89
Federal Universal Service Fee........... .76

Total Taxes etc............................ 8.51

Total Bill................................... $16.38

The taxes are higher than the cost of the phone line.

What's worse is have you ever looked to see what the charges are for?

Federal excise tax - started to fund the Spanish-American war. Congress has been talking about dropping this for a while but hasn't. http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/telecom/2005-06-30-taxes-usat_x.htm

Federal Subscriber Line Charge - There's really nothing 'federal' about it other than the FCC caps the charge. It's not really a tax. FCC allows, not mandates, your provider to charge up to $6.50/month to recoup fees associated with running wire to your house. I had two lines with my phone provider and they charged the same fee on both lines, even though they didn't run 2 sets of wire to the house.
http://consumerist.com/272157/what-is-the-federal-subscriber-line-charge-and-how-can-i-buck-it

While some of the taxes are just that: taxes, 70.2% of the taxes you posted was not a tax at all, simply a device under which the phone company can appear to have a lower base rate while blaming it on the government, and 5% is going to fund a 4 month war that ended 111 years ago and has already been paid off many, many times over. This year alone, the excise tax cost more than the entire war.

Don't you feel better about the bill now?