Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#19451 by wjcarpenter
Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:18 pm
Suppose I port my beloved home landline number to my ooma. Then suppose I someday fall out of love with ooma and need to go back to paying the telcos. Is there going to be any hassle porting my number back out?
#19612 by wjcarpenter
Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:20 am
niknak wrote:according to the FCC the answer to your question is NO

If by that you merely mean that the FCC mandates that all numbers be portable between carriers, well, I already know that. But ... there are two exceptions:

1. There is an FCC exemption in some cases where there are technical limitations that prevent it.

2. There is a technically illegal situation where the carrier just makes it so aggravating that you eventually give up.

It's #2 that I'm mostly asking about.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/numbport.html
#19617 by murphy
Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:28 am
It depends on who initially issued the number. In most cases they retain ownership of the number.

For example my number was issued by Verizon when they were still Bell Telephone a very long time ago.

About 5 years ago I ported it to Vonage.

When I got ooma this year and requested a port from Vonage what actually happened is that Vonage reversed the port from Verizon and then ooma picked the number up.
#19633 by niknak
Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:25 am
Ultimately the numbers belong to the ILEC / RBOC that owned them originally.
That being said, I have not heard of anyone having a hard time porting a number from ooma, but remember, ooma is a voip service provider, not a telephone company. The port actually occurs between ooma's CLEC partner and the receiving company