Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#19292 by mlines
Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:51 pm
My setup is DSL modem with wireless -> PC computer, laptop connecting via wireless. With this setup both computers can share files, access the internet etc.

I would like to use this setup: DSL modem with wireless -> Ooma -> PC computer. Under this setup both computers can access the internet just fine, and the Ooma works, but I can't share files. The Ooma is blocking the home network communications.

setup details:

Actiontec GT701-WG
ISP Protocol: PPPoE
ATM Encapsulation: LLC Bridged
Modem IP Address: 75.162.236.235
DNS Address #1 205.171.3.25
DNS Address #2 205.171.2.25

The modem assignes the PC 192.168.0.2 and the laptop 192.168.0.3

How do I set up the Ooma to allow the network traffic? Do I need to forward ports? How?
#19294 by ggilman
Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:03 pm
The ooma hub is really a router. When you put your pc behind the hub, without also putting other devices behind the same ooma hub, they are on a separate network.

From the setup you describe, it's not really possible to share files as you wish. Being on a separate network, you should be able to share files over protocols which work over the internet such as FTP, but you won't be able to do things you normally can on a local network, like browse folders or share files & printers. It's really no different at this point than trying to connect to your next door neighbor who is on the same DSL system.

Unfortunately the complication is far more than just opening a few ports on the ooma. You need to get used to using Internet-type protocols or have your devices on the same network (either all before or all after the ooma hub).
#19300 by Groundhound
Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:19 am
Since your modem/router only has one Ethernet port for wired connections, you could use a network switch like the Linksys EZXS55W, which costs less than $25. You would plug the switch's uplink port into the modem's Ethernet port, and then connect the Ooma hub's modem port to one of the switch's LAN ports and connect your computer to another of the switch's LAN ports. In this way your computer would back on the same network as your wireless laptop, with IP assigned by the modem/router instead of the hub.